• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tips for building an ice house?

CAMOMAN

Question

Will be building a new house this spring/summer. Starting to plan now. Will be using a 22' travel trailer frame and floor. Tree fell on the trailer, but all the guts are good. Would welcome any suggestions from folks who have built large houses before. Things that are planned:
* sandwich style floor - should i take the existing flooring off and use treated for both layers?
* steel tube skids - for use on Mille Lacs.
* loft of some sort.
Any suggestions/tips will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

4 answers to this question

hi, a house that big i would think about a frame with crank-up wheels. it is alot easier to move around on wheels. i have a 7.5x17 with hdy lift, can be up in the air in 15 seconds hooked to the truck in a couple of min.

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 01-20-2003).]

IF WE WENT WITH CRANK UP WHEELS, THEY WOULD HAVE TO CRANK UP INTO THE FLOOR AS IT IS 8' WIDE ALREADY. DOES EVERYONE JUST MAKE THEIR OWN CRANKUPS OR DO THEY BUY THEM SOMEWHERE. OTHER QUESTION IS WILL ONE WHEEL ON EACH SIDE CARRY THE WEIGHT OF THE HOUSE?

A house that size a single axle will not be enough. Yes there are many different frame manufactures out there but i have not seen to many that build them that big. I would definatly go with a hydralic lift for sure and the wheels in the inside to be legal.

kinda what i thought. Think i will stick with the original plan of welding skids onto the existing frame. It is not like we will be moving around alot once it is on the ice. Will go with portables if we want to do that.
I guess I am just wondering if anyone has any suggestions that we may overlook. Would like to put in a loft on one end.