• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Attaching 1lb cylinders

The Chemist

Question

Has anyone ever had a problem w/ hooking these up? this weekend I tried to put them on my Mr. Heater and all I got was liquid propane shooting onto my fingertips. I tried 2 different bottles and the same effect. Now I'm missing a good bit of skin off my finger tips. Next time I guess I'll where my gloves.

8 answers to this question

I've noticed that 1 lbrs of different manufactures or sold under different names somtimes don't work with my propane run gadgets. For instance , once in a while I can't get them threaded decent to my Mr.Heater but the same bottle will work on my lantern or vise versa.
Hav'nt had much trouble with Coleman bottles but the brand X ones give me trouble like that once in a while.

Chemist, I had the same thing happen this weekend w/ a Coleman 1#'er while hooking up my little propane grill. Pretty sure it was because of the cold that made the valve stuck - probably a little frozen moisture in there. Didn't have it spray on me but it could have. Was your cylinder out in the cold?

I've also had problems with a couple cylinders not wanting to thread onto my heater this year.

Yeah they were out in the cold. I originally had my 5lb tank hooked up but it didn't work well. So I tried switching over then I jad the whole episode. So I decided to g oback to the 5lb. It ran okay for a couple of hours but then started to lose it's red glow. So then I packed it up and went home. CO poisoning isn't my favorite way of spending time on the ice. Had one near death run in with it in the past don't want to again.

I had this happen to my heater. I was lucky and didn't get any propane on my hands. I went back to using my 20lb tank with the heater. It didn't work very well at first but since I filled the tank it works great.

[This message has been edited by crappie_fisher (edited 01-21-2003).]

Sounds like we've all had problems. I found that it's real easy to cross thread the tank fitting, and if you feel any difficulty when you first start screwing it in-STOP! Make sure it's going into the tank fitting square and go slow at first. Once it's cross threaded, you are "screwed." If it's cold in your hut and it's your last tank, you are doubly "screwed." Hope this helps. The fittings on your propane accesories should all be the same size and standard. So says Hank Hill.