• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Drain Plug on Merc 115 Four Stroke

Hemlock

Motor is a 2009. Was going to attempt to change oil myself for the first time and I can't find my manual. Is the drain plug on the left (port) side of the motor about half way down the shaft? Large hex nut? Once I find the drain plug, I think I'm good....unless there are any other words of wisdom out there.

The vent and drain plugs usually require a flat head screwdriver. It could be different on yours but I doubt it.

If you are looking from the back of the motor they should be on the left side of the motor. The drain will be down near the bottom center the vent is usually straight up from the drain.

i tilt my motor all the way down and warm the motor up first. i tried the tilting deal. maby someone has a better way. i have a large funnel attached with a bungi cord under the outlet. prior to taking the bolt off i take some foil and shove it under the bolt and have the foil overlap into the funnel. this way i dont put a drop of oil on the motor or ground. i have a catch pan under the funnel which has a flexable hose.

anybody got better ideas of taking off the oil filter without spilling some oil? at this point all i do is stuff a bunch of paper towels under the oil filter before loosening it up. good luck.