• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I will be in Algoma next Thursday through Sunday and the following weekend down in Keewaunee the 25 through the 28th. Water temps are improving. 240-450 has been good with fish coming off the top 70'. The usual orange spoons and copper has been taking bows up high. Kings seem to have an affinity for the chrome/green flashers and green or blue flies. Straight chrome and disco or white blade and green bubble tape have also been taking some fish. Getting fired up, hope the weather cooperates. There have been some really nice sized kings taken already in the mid to upper twenty pound range, now if we can just get some prolonged fair weather things will take off.

Tunrevir~

We ended up with 38 fish total for a Sunday afternoon and Monday morning charter. Only four were salmon, had a laker, but the rest were steelhead. Which is fine with me for eating, but would have liked to haved tackled some more bigger fish. We had great weather though, which always makes the trip more enjoyable. Fished out of Kinn's charters, fun watching those guys lay out lines and do their thing. Most of the fish were on the boards, they were running 6 boards a side.

A great time was had by all.

We'll be back again next year.

full-552-47461-sunrise.jpg

Yep< biters starting to take off. Some of the local charters had full limits this am. A friend did well out of bailys last weekend going deep for bows and shallower for kings. I will be out in the am to fish. gonna start off Algoma and maybe try keewaunee.

Tunrevir~

Fishing Lake Superior has been good for finding lakers and other trout but it sure has been a struggle to find salmon ,,,Fishing up the north shore,,,south shore and to the apostles has produced fish just not the target species for us this year ,,Best spoons for me have been watermelon ,,,Bite Me Elmo and a MS JJ McMuffin ,,,I sure hope the salmon find their way to this side of the lake later this season or I will have to wait till next years trip to Alaska to fill my freezer with salmon

My wife wants to go up the north shore for a long weekend and camp Aug 22. I was considering bring the boat and try some fish on superior. I bought the rig from a guy in Duluth. He had it setup with a pair of down riggers and rods for fishing superior but I have never tried it on my own. any suggestions for a complete novice.

I have only fished Superior once a few years ago. In terms of setup I started with two downriggers and two leadcore lines and just ran standard size spoons. As I recall we caught 6-8 Lakers and a 2 year old king. I did better on the lead that day. Not sure that is a whole lot of help but thats what I remember off the top.

On another note there are a lot of good reports right now on Michigan if anyone is getting ready for a trip over there. A good mix of Kings, Bows, Browns, and Lakers depending on the port.

Sutty and I returned from a decent weekend of fishing on Lake Michigan. Very slow bite out of Kewaunee. A local in that port pointed us towards Sturgeon Bay and we did much better there. No magic lures, mostly a spoon bite for us.

Best fish was 21.4lb (weighed by DNR survey team), with two more in the upper teens (not weighed).

IMG_0701.jpg

IMG_0707.jpg

IMG_0715.jpg

Simon, we fished directly out from SB. Did not go any ports further north than that.

tacklejunkie, LM isn't a bad drive, about 5 hours. Going to Superior might be 3-4+ depending on which part of the lake you fish. These days the king salmon population in LM is much less than it used to be due to alewife decline and a big cut in salmon stocking efforts. There are still plenty there though, and the steelhead get big and are lots of fun as well. Coho, brown and lake trout also can be caught depending on when and where you fish.

Are there any good spots to fish off shore along lake michigan? Looking for salmon or trout. I will be in the chicago/itasca area and would like to get out if possible. Thanks....

Many of the local ports have piers or jettys where you can fish from shore with the possibility of Brown trout, steelhead and or kings and coho if the fish are in.  The pier fishermen that I have talked to will cast spoons like cleos, mepps spinners and also will use cralwers or shiners off a slip sinker rig.  Your best bet is to stop by one of the local tackle shops in the area and ask about shore fishing opps and the techniques that might work in that area.

Tunrevir~

Spoke with a friend of mine and he reports that the bite is slowly moving up the shore on Lake Michigan right now.  In sheboygan they are getting a mixed bag of coho, steelhead and kings from 60'-150'.  Bows are active near the surface and coming off 2-5 colors of leadcore trolled off boards on spoons.  dipsies and both spoons and flashers and flies have been taking kings and cohos.  Keewaunee south is producing a few lakers and kings.  Ports to the North are starting to put out some sporadic catches of fish but have yet to warm enough for really consistent fishing.  Won't be long and things will pickup once the water temps warmup.

Tunrevir~

We're just back from Door County and the fish were biting about average for this time of year.   We would hit one here and one there.   The only bunch we found produced a triple with all of them finding the cooler.   This year we had a mixed bag of 10 kings and 6 steelhead between 2 boats over three days.   Half the fish were caught near the surface on planer boards pulling spoons behind 5oz snap weights.   Mostly a spoon bite with a mix of regular and magnum sizes, roughly 1/4 hit flys (LBB with some glow tied in)   We marked very little bait and few fish but considering we were catching them high that's not surprising.   The deepest fish hit about 60' down on a rigger (black and silver Carlson spoon)   The only spoon that could be said to be "hot" was a mag Moonshine in the old eminator pattern with three fish.  The biggest king was 16lbs three were 14-15lbs the rest were 4-7 lbs the steelies were 3-4lbs.   One interesting thing was four of the salmon were fin clipped and the heads were collected to read the wire nose tags. 

Launched out of Bayfield this morning to be greeted by fog ,,,,moved towards the rivers slowly ,,,,, and found cohos surfacing  but not biting as actively as they were surfacing ,,,Nice calm day to be on the water fishing but catching wasn't all that great ,,,I think I'm done chasing the salmon for the season and ready to fish for some crappie and walleye