• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Canvas too Short on New Fish Trap Guides!?

huskminn

Question

Just assembled my new Fish Trap Guide this evening. Low and behold, I ran into the same trouble that a couple of other FM.com members did recently.

The front/bottom pole does not extend to the ground and the canvas does not seal the gap between the ground (ice) and the house.

The canvas is installed precisely according to instruction, but appears to be too short. The front/bottom pole doesn't even touch the ground when all other poles are in their shortest position. The pole is held 6" above the ground when all poles are in their highest position.

I half-way suspected that this might happen, as other people who recently purchased this model ran into the same problem. There are a few other details that come into play here...second and third-hand details, but interesting ones none-the-less.

A new, large sporting goods store in the NW Metro has been trying to order and carry the USL line, but USL apparently has absolutely no Fish Trap Guides in inventory. When I advised this retailer that many other stores currently had this model discounted $60, he was shocked. Why would they be running a sale when there was actually a shortage of inventory?

Trying to dumps some bad Traps and just hope that people don't complain? I know it's black-helicopterish, but something just seems strange here.

So, I'm calling USL on Monday to see what they have to say about this. There is the distinct possibility that there were 4-5 bad models out there and each one of them was purchased by a FM.com member. Unlikely, but possible.

I will post how this turns out, as I think it is important to provide ALL available information in a situation like this.

• Answers 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I had posted earlier that my new canvas was still too short... It seems better, but I am still off the ground quite a bit when the poles are extended (maybe 5" or 6"). I am under the impression that is how all of the guides are with the bolt on canvas.

I did contact USL again after the new tarp and they told me the engineer was working on it and would let me know when they find a solution. That was a couple weeks ago...

I plan to make my own modifications this summer. It does work fine with the poles all in the lowest position. I looked at some other brands and still like the fish trap for size and seats, etc. over all of the other brands. The only complaint I have is the canvas is too short and the layout of the zipper door really sucks. The sliding seats are great and the size is about perfect for what I wanted. Hopefully they will re-design this in the future - adding extra canvas and a better door layout.

I bolted my canvas on the top side of the sled and that seems to free up enough canvas to help a little. Although it now allows some draft in from the rear but not all that much.

Any one have any ideas of a material that could be used to bolt to the sled and then attatch the canvas to it to free up a little more canvas and to eliminate the draft? Something rubber, maybe? I thought about wood, not sure if I like that option. I think I would prefer something soft. Maybe just another short piece of canvas to extend the whole thing.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

I was thinking of bolting 2" x 2" treated strips along the top (in the same holes as the canvas is now bolted). And then attach the canvas to the side of the 2x2. I'm not doing anything until ice fishing season is open, but this is the idea I have in my head right now. I'd like to be able to use the shack fully extended.

The canvas extension is a good idea. You could bring it to a canvas shop I'm sure and have them sew an extension. Not sure how much it would cost to do something like that. I'm debating having the zipper redone by a canvas shop so that it is easier to get in and out, so I may look into going that route... Not planning on spending a whole lot on doing this though...

A new YKK size 10 zipper is expensive. Probably $60 for 10' or so. I priced one for my tent door and it wasn't cost effective to replace.

I'm pretty darn unhappy I have to modify anything after paying $400.

I hear ya G-man... I should have looked at the zipper a little more closely before buying... I still have to say, I think it is the best unit available for what I need.

I'd buy the otter in a second, IF it had a good seating system. The seats they offer are no good and cost another $120... I didn't look real hard at the Frabill, but it seemed cheaper quality to me...

Final thoughts:

I called USL about the problem last week and they quickly sent me a new canvas (it arrived the day after I called them!). I put the new canvas on and the flaps are now sitting on the ground as they should when the poles are set at their lowest setting. The previous canvas left the bottom of the flaps 2" off the ground.

The Guide works for me. It fits in the back of my Pathfinder perfectly and holds all my gear. I'd buy another one just based on the fact that USL responded so quickly to my problem.

If you are having problems, give USL a call or stop by their office and I am sure they'll do whatever it takes to keep you as a customer.

P.S. If this HSOforum and forum did not exist, I probably would have shrugged my shoulders and accepted what I had thinking I screwed something up. Thanks for everyone giving their opinions and insights.

[This message has been edited by wormfood (edited 02-13-2003).]