• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Canvas too Short on New Fish Trap Guides!?

huskminn

Question

Just assembled my new Fish Trap Guide this evening. Low and behold, I ran into the same trouble that a couple of other FM.com members did recently.

The front/bottom pole does not extend to the ground and the canvas does not seal the gap between the ground (ice) and the house.

The canvas is installed precisely according to instruction, but appears to be too short. The front/bottom pole doesn't even touch the ground when all other poles are in their shortest position. The pole is held 6" above the ground when all poles are in their highest position.

I half-way suspected that this might happen, as other people who recently purchased this model ran into the same problem. There are a few other details that come into play here...second and third-hand details, but interesting ones none-the-less.

A new, large sporting goods store in the NW Metro has been trying to order and carry the USL line, but USL apparently has absolutely no Fish Trap Guides in inventory. When I advised this retailer that many other stores currently had this model discounted $60, he was shocked. Why would they be running a sale when there was actually a shortage of inventory?

Trying to dumps some bad Traps and just hope that people don't complain? I know it's black-helicopterish, but something just seems strange here.

So, I'm calling USL on Monday to see what they have to say about this. There is the distinct possibility that there were 4-5 bad models out there and each one of them was purchased by a FM.com member. Unlikely, but possible.

I will post how this turns out, as I think it is important to provide ALL available information in a situation like this.

• Answers 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I need to eat some of my words. I just got off the phone and a replacement is on its way!!!! Hopefully this fix will take care of it!!!!

Very helpful customer service so far.....

[This message has been edited by Slow Jigger (edited 01-29-2003).]

O.K. lets be fair to USL here. I made a copy of my reciept, mailed it to them, called their customer service, and they quickly sent me a new tent. I'm going to return the deffective one to them provided the replacement works correctly. They've seemed to handle this well on my end, and they will get my money again some day.

Irvingdog.... The jury is still out but once I did get a hold of someone they were very, VERY helpful. Talked to someone yesterday and said a new one was on the way so I must say I can't wait to get it.

Hopefully if the product is as good as I believe it will be plenty of years before I need to purchase another. USL/Clam will be on the short list.....

USL has been great to me from my experiences with them Paul Fabian and Sue took care of my problem and I appreciated the quick service.
This was my situation:
A few years back I bought a Fish Trap Deluxe which is close to the same dimensions as the fish trap pro. The first year I used it I had many pin holes in the poly cotton cover and the edges of the sewed seams were un raveling in a couple of spots, also the trap base in both rear corners where the molded ski's were had smalll holes. Called and talked to Paul and immediately I received a new ice armo cover and sled base. I had to modify my poles slightly to accept the new ice armor cover and before my new fish trap base hit the ice I purchased and mounted kid's downhill ski's and mounted them on top of the molded runners. 3 years thus far and the trap has been absolutely flawless. To lighten the load I removed the bench seat and all the framing and use a 40 qt cooler as a dry storage area and duct tape foam padding on the top of the cooler for a seat. Works great and lightens up the trap quite a bit.
USL's customer service was fast and efficient, what else can you ask for.

I am glad a couple of you have experienced the level of service that you have. I wish the people I had talked to at USL treated me the same way.

Let's see if those new tents fit your sleds, guys. For your sake (and USL's), I hope they do.

Keep us posted.

Just wanted to say I have had the same problem as the rest of you with the canvas being to short.I called USL today and a new one is on the way.Now thats customer service, and a company that I have purchased products from in the past and will again.I agree that this should not have made it out of there factory this way but I also understand that being in the customer products venue that this can happen.The good mark of a great company is to stand by there product as USL has.Great job! smile.gif

I have a guide trap that is a litte short
the cavas doesnot close tight under the door plus under the door in the coners the velcro
came undone from the canvase wear it ws sewed on. now theres a rip that is groing. I called them she said to bad I bought it just over a year ago.
Is the sliding seats worth it ???

Something tells me that the person I spoke to was completely unhelpful or they have recently decided that this is an issue they can't ignore.

Perhaps I should have waited for the growing tide of complaints to hit shore before I returned mine for a full refund.

Hope to see the new canvas by tomorrow and have it out this weekend. I will let you know.

I did ask the customer service person "What if this one happens to be short?" The quick answer was we will get you another until it is fixed.... The next time, IF this new one doesn't fit, I may offer to bring it in if needed and have the canvas put on there if they are willing to do that (save a little time). It would be out of the way but I can do a little to help them out since they have done the same for me.

The seats sliding into postion and being able to adjust is a nice feature. Problem is I think they are a bit small on the seat part. But as far as adjusting them I love it. That was one reason I bought the guide in the first place.

It seems to me that USL would have saved alot of money if they would have done some quality control and caught the problem before people got the ice houses. I am glad that their customer service is good but hopefully next year they will have the problem fixed from the start so we won't have to go through all of the B.S. to make it right.

I had the same problem with my trap,USL sent out a new canvas right away, fits great! USL's customer service is top notch!! They prefer you call, but since i cant call them during their hours, I got great e-mail support from them. Make sure to be very specific and detailed when using e-mail, it will save time and get your cover faster smile.gif

IceC

------------------
Have an Ice day :)

OK, sounds like USL is doing the right thing. They should have troubleshooted their design with quality control to avoid so many disgruntled customers, but giving excellent and prompt customer service with a fix is the next best thing.

Sounds like they're sending out replacement tents that are doing the job.

Thanks everybody for responding and contributing to this thread. It may not have had anything to do with USL's excellent support of their product, but, then again, it might have. grin.gif

So, just to be perfectly clear. You guys receiving the new canvas's from USL for your Guides .... When your poles are *fully extended* with the new canvas, does the front pole reach the ground?

USL had excuses for me when I actually took my Guide into their place in Plymouth and I specifically spoke with the engineer.

I asked them to contact me within a week of my visit and I haven't heard from them yet. I just haven't posted my full conversation with them yet because I haven't had time.

I talked to USL yesterday and they are sending me a replacement. The woman that answered the phone was very nice and didn't hesitate to take care of my problem.

I'll give an update when I receive the new canvas. If anyone is worried about USL products, don't be. IMHO their customer service so far is top notch.

wormfood

[This message has been edited by wormfood (edited 02-07-2003).]

From the long discussion I had with USL's customer service and engineer, without any doubt, I got the impression that there was nothing USL could do about modifying their canvas this year. If you fully extend your poles, the front pole will come off the ground. They may send you a new canvas, but I personally will be skeptical if the new canvas will solve your problem.

Here is the short version of the skinny I received from USL. They said the unit wasn't designed to have the poles fully extended and that is the bottom line. Its portable and in their opinion that means most people just want to run the rods up quickly to the first hole and start fishing. The extra holes are in the rods because when there is a bunch of snow on the ground, the pole adjustment should help you level and adjust the canopy to close gaps. When I mentioned the height of the unit is not 60" without the poles fully extended, they shrugged it off and said 58" or so was rounded up to 60". I guess this is more than the skinny, it is the story I was told. Didn't think I would type this much.

Also, I asked them to call me within a week to let me know if they were going to do anything for me. I haven't heard a peep out of them and they know how to contact me. They may decide to make another revision to next years model but the time for that decision won't be for awhile. You would think they would 'enlarge' the canvas pattern to solve this problem, but the easy solution is to have one hole in the rods - the shortest one. That would be my impression of where they were leaning at the time I talked to them.

I'll leave you with that to think about and let you form your own opinions on whether or not you want to purchase a Guide this year or next. If any of you ever want to contact me on my visit to USL, drop an email and I'll send you my telephone number.