• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

WFB Conditions

Heading up on Wednesday to fish through the weekend. Anyone have recent travel conditions for me? We're wondering if snowmobiles or atv's are the way to go with the melt that's going on right now. Really hoping to be able to use atv's.

Hey Bear: Would you post the WFB conditions when you get back? We are headed up on the 23rd through 27th. We usually stay at the Rod and Reel (been there for 8 years or better) but he rented the place for the entire month and Crawfords was full, so staying at Muskie Bay. Good luck.

Haha same story here. We usually stay at Crawfords but they were booked and tried the rod and reel as well. Ended up booking with Tomahawk on Regina Bay about a mile east of Sioux Narrows. Still looking for any info on travel conditions but as of now We are planning to bring atv's. I have a bad feeling the ice is going to be a sloppy mess with all the snow melting. I will post a report when I get back on Sunday night.

Anybody have any WFB conditions? We are supposed to leave this Friday (23rd) to fish through Monday 26th. Still able to get around? Ice safe for ATV travel?

I would be very surprised if ATV travel would be safe at that time. Not even sure if you would be able to walk out safely. A lot of the lakes up here lost up to a foot of ice in the last few days. On the trout lake that I fish here in Ely is down to only 13in of ice from around 24in. It's not good ice either. It comes up in big cubes instead of shavings.

This is from Tolenspl in the Morrison LOTW Ice report:

WARNING ... local guides are saying the ice is not safe .. I just got back from checking out a truck that is sitting in about 2 1/2 feet of water in the narrows south of Brule island... the ice has really changed in the last 24 hours .. STAY SAFE

I would call the resorts up there and get a first hand report.

MadMulcher just got back last night. I was supposed to go this Thursday. He came to my house to tell me there is no way I should be going up there. He thought he might have to do a good old fashioned intervention like they do with drug addicts. But I am trusting his word and cancelled my trip.

Dangit!

We've been doing that. Resort reported that on Saturday they had 24 inches of ice and they were still driving on the ice on WFB. I'm not trusting the resort and am hoping someone from the NesterFalls or Sioux Narrows area can give an update. Trust me. I'm not going if there isn't good ice. Just would like confirmation that WFB does not have good ice. Thanks guys for the input. Sad when my buddies back here are asking if they can have my guns and boat. Lol.

Puddleduck,

I was on 3 trout lakes directly east of Nestor Falls yesterday about 30 miles and the conditions were terrible. Anywhere there was a rock pile 1'-2' under the surface, there was an open hole 5'-8' in diameter around it. A lot of rock points had open water 8'-10' out from them.

The top 3" was slush ice that you just sunk into and the remaining 10"-12" looked good, but it really goes fast. Thinks have changed drastically in the past 2-3 days and with rain in the forecast the ice is done.

It changed so much just yesterday, I didn't think we were going to get off the last lake without a little bit of swimming and winching.

Long Story Short - Stay off the ice!

Yup - just got an e-mail from Muskie Bay Resort canceling our trip for this up coming weekend. Thanks to the resort for looking out for us - Bummed we aren't going.

Guess I'll reluctantly have to get the boat ready for soft water

our trip to sioux narrows over the weekend was cancelled due to poor ice conditions. our lodge told us we could have fished sunday, but monday the ice turned to real iffy, and that they wouldn't be allowing anyone out anymore.

so we hit the rainy river instead-

I have never fished WFB for lake trout before and am thinking about a trip for early ice out. I was told about a resort on the bay and the only thing I remember about the name is it was the first name of the owners, like Jim and Judys resort. Any help on the name would sure be appreciated.