• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Angel Eye problem

Paul Rohweller

Question

I keep having the same problem when I use my Angel Eye JR's- the split ring that holds the hook keeps flipping up and getting caught on the tail of the spoon body. Then my hook and minnow head are cocked off to the side. Anyone else have this problem? Should I switch to a smaller split ring?

11 answers to this question

I keep having the same problem when I use my Angel Eye JR's- the split ring that holds the hook keeps flipping up and getting caught on the tail of the spoon body. Then my hook and minnow head are cocked off to the side. Anyone else have this problem? Should I switch to a smaller split ring?

It happens all you can really do is just straighten it out and keep fishing. You can feel when it happens because when you jig it it feels different. You might try a swivel to help minimize the occurence of this. Good luck

wow, and I thought I was the only one!
Don't get me wrong here, I think the AE's and GD's are the best out there, it's just that there are very few lures right out of the box that do not need some degree of "tweaking".
Almost all cranks, spinnerbaits, etc, need to be tuned in some way or the other to get the desired affect/appearance. There is always something an angler can do to make an awsome lure even better.
Give a smaller split ring a try and post your results.

------------------
>"////=<
Gull Guide Service
fishingminnesota.com/gullguide
Brainerd-Mille Lacs-Willmar
Bemidji-Ottertail

Hey Mr. Gull Guide, Thanks for the tip on the smaller split rings. One of those simple ideas that stares you in the face and you don't see it. I'm planning on changing out the hooks on half of my dozen Angel Eye Jrs. The last couple of years I've been changing over many of my lures to the Mustad Triplegrip hooks or the Eagle Claw Kahle trebles. I don't recall ever losing a fish that I've had a good hookset with either of them. An added advantage is that when using a minnow head for bait, its much less likely to get flipped off the hook while jigging.The only disadvantages are that they don't make real small hooks in that style and that when you catch a fish on them you had better have a plier handy. When they hook they don't mess around.

Gull Guide, I just switched to the next smaller size split ring on several of my Angels. You were right, there is no way to make the hook stick to one side no matter how hard you try. The hook still has free movement with the smaller rings.I'm switching to the other style trebles at the same time. The down side of this is it took 15 minutes to do the first ring change. The second one only took half that long. Small split rings are not for old eyes and big fingers. On the plus side, the floor is now clean where I swept it up looking for a ring that went SPROOIINNGG. Should we keep this a secret or should we tell Rick about it?

Icehousebob,

You can keep this a secret or tell Rick about it but since he does not manufacture these things let me help here.

We have looked at using a smaller as well as a larger split ring in the tails of the Angel Eye Jrs. The reason we have not done so is because by using a smaller split ring most split rings will get sprung when they are installed and will not close properly. If this happens it is possiable for the hook to come off the lure.

If we go bigger then we take away the designed balance of this lure on the drop. This also happens when larger hooks are applied to the tail of these lures.

I have had this happen to me also but of the many times I use them it does not happen often enough that I am going to make changes in them for my use.

Jeff
Scenic Tackle

Jeff, I know what you mean about springing the split rings. I changed six of them and two were sprung. I also lost two and wrecked a thumbnail. I was thinking of going larger but didn't have any in my box of many wonders. I'm hoping to try these out with the different hooks in SoDak this week,weather permitting. If so, I'll let everyone know . I've had great ideas before that didn't work out. I wonder why that is.

I know what your saying Jeff. The split rings will spring and cause further complications like line slipping into the ring or hook loss. Supper braids will find a way to get into a split rigs, even on a good ring, that is a pain in the keester Eh.

I found some long shank Gamakatsu split trebles (Like are used on Heddon blade baits) that slip through the eye in the angels eliminating the lower split ring completely. This works well to eliminate the hang up issue. They appear to wobble and flash as well?

With any split rings the 8/1 Power Pro I use for ice fishing can get into the split rings. To me this is more of a pain then the split and hook hanging on the spoon or lure. MAN I hate that, especially at night! This happens on any lure with split rings, soooooooo...I often loose them split rings.

The Angel Eye is a GREAT jig, still my best producing flash spoon, any time of year.

Jeff I would love to see a large Angel that is extra heavy for use in rivers. Wink-Wink-Hint-Hint wink.gif Gold or Black and glow/white would be real purdy Eh.

ed-logo.jpg

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 01-20-2003).]

I have looked at building another size and I am looking at a new one for next year that will fall in between the Angel Eye Minnow and the Angel Eye Jr. We are trying several different versions right now and it will just take some time to get them balanced just right.

Icehousebob have you tried the original Angel Eye Minnow for your northern fishing yet. They are twice the size and weight of the Jr.s and still have the same action.

Jeff
Scenic Tackle