• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Another Otter Sled Modification

gonehunting

I've always liked to see everyone's otter modifications so I thought I'd post mine. Three years ago my buddy and I went to Lake of the Woods. He has a Clam X4 and we found it very time consuming to load all of our equipment into the sled before folding the fishhouse up. We would then have to unfold the whole fishhouse out to get at our equipment including the ice auger. We drove two sleds so it only made sense to pull another sled to carry all of our equipment. The pictures are pretty self explanatory. The buckets and large enclosed box have one inch foam to protect the electronics and other equipment. We often run two heaters thus the two propane tanks. Everything is then protected with an otter cover.

OtterMod2012.jpg

OtterMod2011.jpg

OtterMod2008.jpg

We do not use this sled to fish out of. We only use it to haul gear. We have two snowmobiles. We pull the fishhouse with one and this sled with the other. The only negatives are it takes up some more space when transporting down the road and the cost of having an additional sled. It just makes getting to the equipment so much easier.

Is it bolted in or does this unit just sit in the sled. I have a medium otter that I tug behind my snowmobile and throw all my gear in it. This off season I'm looking to at least add some dividers. What do you have for the auger rack? I'm really interested in cheap. I have $200 tied up in the sled now. Either that or I may throw my resources into adding the actual otter frame and canvas. Right now I have an old frabil cub and I throw that in my otter sled if I absolutly have to have it. Most times I leave it in my truck. Up until this past week I have been fishing out of the truck all winter.

The auger is held on with auger mounts made by Mad Dog Gear. The unit is not bolted in the sled. It just sits in there. I could probably have built it a little lighter but didn't need to because I was pulling it with a snowmobile. I believe I used (3)1x12 boards on end running the length of the sled. I painted the whole thing to protect against moisture then put the carpet on last.

Do you ever get your jigs/lures caught in the carpet? I put some carpet in my boat and want to remove it this spring as I was always getting my lures stuck in it. Great idea to paint and protect the wood, especially the parts toward the bottom of the sled that may sit in a little bit of water when the shack thaws out between trips.