• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

JIGGING SPOON QUESTION

swampman

Question

i would appreciate a little input on fishing jigging spoons am going to try to run up to winnie this weekend and i have never really messed with spoons alot.my main question is rigging and what most of you guys use for connecting to the spoon.i know some spoons are meant to be tied direct but what about the ones where you should use a split ring or snap or snapswivel? i was leaning towards a split ring just cause it seems like a little less (JUNK) to have hanging down there.any replies would be helpful.thanks

4 answers to this question

I have always used the quick snaps that you can get at most any tackle shop. They are just a small clip in the shape of a J the you can snap a lure on. 1 tip if always will crimp it a little with a pliers after I put it on so that it is tight and I don't have to worry about losing my lure. This allows you to change lures quickely without having to retie. If I am using a spoons that that done not have a swivel on it I use snap swivel. I agree the less stuff down there the better. However with spoons I don't think that it really matters. I want them to move around that is why I use a swivel otherwise you will be fighting twisted line.

I prefer a jigging spoon with a ring on top like the Glow Devils, it helps give the spoon more action. If the spoon doesn't have a ring on top use some type of snap. I do not use a swivel with jigging spoon because they seem to spin and twist your line either way. I do however, let the spoon unwind every time I bring it up. Don't forget the glow spoons. Maybe I will see ya on Winni this weekend, I will be there too! Scott Steil

From experience when using a swedish pimple without a split ring is not good. By the end of the day, your line (knot) around the lure will weaken and eventually break. I always use a split ring or a swivel. Sometimes the swivel will cause the lure and the line catch each other, then you have a little problem. But changing lures is a snap. White and Glow in the dark colors have worked well for me on Winnie.