• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2012 June Alaska trip

I am in the midst of planning my 3rd annual June Alaska trip and am looking for some suggestions. On our last 2 trips (both in June), we have mostly fished for kings but we also spent 2 days on our last trip halibut fishing (once in the Cook Inlet and once out of Seward) as well as one day fishing for reds. We also spent one day doing white water rafting on class 5 rapids (can't remember the name of the river). For our time spent king fishing, we have mainly fished the Little Susitna and the Deshka, but also spent time on a few other rivers.

My questions is what is something new we could do that we haven't tried yet? How is the trout fishing that time of year (we will be going June 16-23rd)? How about dolley varden? Arctic char? I'd like to tie into some new species on the trip this year and I know Alaska has so much to offer, I'd like to make sure I try something new each time I go. Anybody have any suggestions?

A couple things I did when I went there, besides red and halibut fishing, was a fly in bear viewing trip (pretty dang cool) and kayaking in the ocean (also very cool). We did a "saddle and paddle" trip too- we rode horses out into the wilderness and floated our way back while chasing trout and reds. Here's the link:

Alaska Trip

I have a few ideas.

Remote northern pike sight fishing can be incredible. Fishing a less remote location, particularly one of the regularly fished lakes, I've had mixed results on.

I've caught rainbow (not steelhead) trout in rivers while fishing for silvers and pinks. It was awesome, they were BIG.. nothing under 22 inches. I'd love to target Alaska rainbows specifically some day.

Kodiak was awesome when we did that, but I think we were there in August. Chum salmon were coming in, incredibly intense C&R fishing, catching literally dozens in an evening. The day out in the ocean was the best fishing I've ever had, and we didn't even get to go out to the "good" spots because of rough seas. We caught, in order from moving to various spots throughout the day: herring for bait on sabiki rigs, black rockfish, ling cod/halibut, and finishing the day off at the pacific cod hole where you caught a fish within 10 seconds of your jig hitting the bottom. Bear viewing is awesome too.

I've never caught arctic char or dolly varden, but my parents love to fish for them.

Thanks for the ideas guys.

Does anybody know where are good areas for arctic char? or greyling? or dolley varden? I don't really know the difference between those species but I have seen them caught on Larry Csonka's tv show before and they look like a blast to catch on a fly rod. What time of year is the best to target these fish? Are they catchable around June? Do they run up the rivers or are they resident river fish?

Sorry for all the questions but I would really like to get into some of these new species on my trip this year.

Dollies and artic char are the same fish I think...dollies on the coast, char inland.

A trip to Kodiak would be high on my list. Theres some great saltwater trolling for kings there, and the rivers sound like a blast. Throw in the possibilities of seeing big browns...:)

I wouldn't skip the Kenai for kings, personally. Busy, yes, but no place that offers the possibility of 50-60 lb (and bigger) Kings like the Kenai.

Dolly's and Char are different species but just slightly. Here is a quote: Dolly Varden Char (Salvelinus malma) are often confused with their close relative, the Arctic Char (Salvelinus alpinus). The slight difference in appearance between the two can at times be puzzling, but they are different species and can be differentiated by external characteristics or by the habitat in which they occur.

I haven't done it but I hear the upper part of the Kenai can have some great rainbow fishing from drift boats. I've hiked into the Swanson River Lakes area (upper Kenai area) and fished for trout by wading the different lakes. Not fast and furious but a good hike and scenary and a few bonus fish to boot. I am itching to make a quick trip up there again to hit some sockeyes.

I need a quickie trip to load up on sockeyes too Fivebucks! 2nd week of July sound good??:)

I've been to the Swanson Lakes area...nice, but I guess I feel you can get nice little trout lakes in Northern MN, so I'd be inclined to stick with the rivers and the salmon when in AK.

I will up there June 14 to June 24......looking for the same question to be answered. I would really love to catch some Halibut but hitting a river or stream with lighter tackle for trout would be awesome...please continue to share any ideas !!!!!

You can catch graying in most any little creek up there and they're dumb and will take any dry flies in your box which is nice. Fyi- Dolly's and Char fight like a wet sock compared to rainbows or salmon but are usually easier to catch and no doubt a beautiful fish. They just get annoying because they roll alot and roll in the line and takes the fight away kind of like Lakers do sometimes.

Traveler - I'd be thinking the last part of July to get into the late run of the Kenai Reds. Where should we meet?

If I do it this year it will be a last minute deal but a guy can always hope. It sure is nice smoking and eatting reds that are frozen immediately vs. the store bought ones that sit on a boat for a few days before being processed. Let's cross our fingers cool