• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

GPS/ Macintosh

#Boater#

Question

3 answers to this question

I'm a regular Garmin user, and I own a Mac G4. I found it cheaper to buy an old 1996 HP running Windows 95 (65 bucks!) than it was to buy and run that slow, expensive, confusing, memory hungery PC clone software. No thanks! All I ever use the PC for is the GPS, otherwise, it is a paperweight in my workroom. BTW, contact Garmin and tell them of your problem and ask them for update disks for your version of software, as well as an update for your GPSr operating system, because unless you bother to hook up your cheap PC to the internet, you won't be able to download these from their site.

Good luck

Thanks for reply...My Dad is the person with the Mac. He just returned his gpsmap76 and has been on the phone and internet with Garmin telling them how displeased he is. Hopefully they will correct this soon. They also need to start making these cables usb combatible.

It's amazing they are selling new GPS units with serial cable which it's almost extinct on many PCs.

The idea of an old used PC is not bad, in fact it's great, a laptop will also work fine, cheaper than the data cable itself.