• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

With lots of sales going on right now, which is the better flasher, LX 5 or FL-22HD?

FishingRebel

I know this has been discussed before, since I found some older threads,and I have read a lot of reviews on the LX-5 on here from others, but I was unable to find much on the FL-22HD. I need to decide on which one to buy since there are sales going on right now. Any reviews on the FL-22HD especially will be much appreciated as I have read how much people love the LX-5 already.

With the FL-22HD, my only concern is that it only goes up to 60 feet and is 400 Watts of power only. I have never fished over 60 feet yet, and may never since I dont chase Lakers, but who knows, maybe some day I may. However, other than the 60 feet max, how is the unit? Are there any problems with the tranducer and unit being Tri-beam?

Thanks.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't own a FL-22, but I do have an older FL-20 Dual Beam, and I have no complaints about it. My FL-20 does read deeper than 60 feet though.

I would like to read some reviews on these two flasher units as well.

I was in the same boat as you before the year started. I decided to go with the LX-5. Very, very happy with it! Main reasons i did not go with the FL22 were: did not have 'true color', reviews i read said would not be great in deeper waters, carry case and charger/maintainer were sold seperate (adds about $100 to price if i remember right).

Either you choose will help you catch more fish! and i'm sure you'd be happy with either

I own the FL22. It is a great unit. Like you, I don't fish lakers and dont plan on starting. The FL22 is nice because you can dial the unit in to 10 foot increments. Makes it easy to set up the unit to how you are fishing.

The low power mode is priceless when it comes to fishing in weeds. You can adjust the unit to block out the weeds and just show your jig and the fish.

Do not worry about the Tri Beam transducer. The first generation fl22's had bad ducers but Vexilar fixed the problem. On the originals, the 12 degree ducer was not receiving enough power. If you do happen to buy a unit with the original ducer, they will replace the transducer and switch for free in about 10 mnutes if you bring it in. The tri beam ducer is also a great way to dial in your electronics to however you are fishing. If people on here say that the unit has trouble in deeper water, I can personally attest that the unit works great in deeper water. Switch to the 8 degree cone and adjust your gain, simple as that. Some folks just don't know how to set up and read their electronics.

All in all, I have owned both of the units you are looking at. My preference is the vex.

Good luck.

I just got the 22hd last week. I was looking at the lx5 also. The guy at the shop asked what everyone I fish with uses, I said vex. He said get a vex or you'll send them so much interference they won't want you around. Decision made...

I have owned both, still have my fl22. the resolution on the marcum is better by far (SFL feature). Also as stated with the soft pack, screen cover, and 9ah battery included it does save you money. The negative I had was when I bought it, it had a bad motor right out of the box and developed some serious issues soon after. After a few talks with marcum they told me it would take three weeks to get back and refused to send me out a new head to just trade out.

Now the vex, I havent had any issues all with this unit. the resolution is ok but not great. I have fished it in 75 feet of water but at anything over 60ft you can only see the top 60ft of the column. this thing shines in shallow water. My home lake is max 11 ft depth and the 10ft scale is awesome in LP mode. Best unit for fishing in shallow weeds I have found.

I just got the 22hd last week. I was looking at the lx5 also. The guy at the shop asked what everyone I fish with uses, I said vex. He said get a vex or you'll send them so much interference they won't want you around. Decision made...

LOL, thats a terrible way to pick your flasher because that statement is false. I fish with guys that have FL20's, Humminbirds, Marcums in the same shack and we can tune in/out most interference issues. Its the dudes on the single wide beams and have gains turned all way up that is causing most the interference.

Versatile the LX5 is. FL22 so so... choose your weapon wisely young Jedi or you will be consumed by the dark side.

Its the dudes on the single wide beams and have gains turned all way up that is causing most the interference.

Just to clarify, the gain has zero effect on the output of the flasher. The gain only adjusts the received input signals amplification.

Just to clarify, the gain has zero effect on the output of the flasher. The gain only adjust the received input signals amplification.

Im no rocket scientist so i'll ask. So your implying that gain settings have no effect on causing interference or receiving interference from ones own flasher then? Or that the amplification of the gain do not relate to what people are experiencing with interference issues?

So your implying that gain settings have no effect on causing interference or receiving interference from ones own flasher then? Or that the amplification of the gain do not relate to what people are experiencing with interference issues?

The gain adjustment isn't the cause, however, turning the gain up will magnify any received interference on that unit.

Turning up the gain on your flasher should not change the interference level received and displayed on your buddies flasher set at a constant gain.

I have been using a FL-22 since the start of the season and couldn't be happier with it. I have had zero issues with the unit or the tri-beam transducer. I have done my research and talked with others that have used other brands. There are many advantages to Vexilar IMO. Here are just a couple things to consider...

1. Best resolution on the market: Others may claim theirs is better, but with less segments, it isn't possible. Vexilar has 525 lines or segments. The only other company with more segments is Humminbird (526), but their screen is also 33% larger so you can't really compare it. I kind of compare it to pixels in a tv. The more you have, the better the resolution will be. More segments will give you a better target seperation as well.

2. Less power: Yep, I wasn't fooled by the more power is better talk that you might get from a sales associate. More power is not better with flashers. The life of a transducer transmitting with 2000 watts of power is going to be much shorter than one that transmits with 400 watts of power. I fish shallow a good portion of my time on the ice and the low power setting is a HUGE advantage. Being able to cut the output in half makes fishing in weeds much easier. Without the low power setting, I'd be lost fishing in the weeds. In the low power setting, I can easily pick out fish in the weeds. I have never had to turn my gain up over 1/4 to see even the smallest of jigs. More power is not better!

Like others have said, any flasher will be better than no flasher at all, but it pays to do your research before spending the money. I have and couldn't be happier!

1. Best resolution on the market: Others may claim theirs is better, but with less segments, it isn't possible. Vexilar has 525 lines or segments. The only other company with more segments is Humminbird (526), but their screen is also 33% larger so you can't really compare it. I kind of compare it to pixels in a tv. The more you have, the better the resolution will be. More segments will give you a better target seperation as well.

Yeah, but truth be told, how many lines of resolution does a fl-22 use at it's lowest gain setting? Blobs are blobs, hard to argue that. I'm not going to touch the low power comment, not worth the bandwidth.

I have been using a FL-22 since the start of the season and couldn't be happier with it. I have had zero issues with the unit or the tri-beam transducer. I have done my research and talked with others that have used other brands. There are many advantages to Vexilar IMO. Here are just a couple things to consider...

2. Less power: Yep, I wasn't fooled by the more power is better talk that you might get from a sales associate. More power is not better with flashers. The life of a transducer transmitting with 2000 watts of power is going to be much shorter than one that transmits with 400 watts of power. I fish shallow a good portion of my time on the ice and the low power setting is a HUGE advantage. Being able to cut the output in half makes fishing in weeds much easier. Without the low power setting, I'd be lost fishing in the weeds. In the low power setting, I can easily pick out fish in the weeds. I have never had to turn my gain up over 1/4 to see even the smallest of jigs. More power is not better!

Like others have said, any flasher will be better than no flasher at all, but it pays to do your research before spending the money. I have and couldn't be happier!

I disagree with the resolution; if the vex has better resolution capabilities they sure don't use it. Try setting a FL-22 next to a LX-5 and you will see which has better resolution. There is no comparison, the LX5 is like a hi-def TV and the vex is like a standard resolution.

As far as the power being too high: the transducer getting worn out has yet to be proved true. I have an LX1 I have had since high school (I am 26) and it still works just as good as the day I bought it. I love hearing this argument from Vex guys, and then showing them my old LX-1 and how fine of lines it produces.

Small fine lines or fat thick lines do not have anything to do with resolution! cry

It has to do with how big or small of light they use to make their band lines in their units! Jeeez the Marcum folks keep beating the horse on that! crazy

It has everything to do with resolution and target ID. How many light segments make up the mark binds the limits of the resolution of any particular unit.

The number of segments in a Vexilar is still greater than a Marcum, by over 100 segments. If the user doesn't set it up properly, what you are saying makes sense. There is no reason to turn the gain up until it shows the "blob" you were referring to in an earlier post. A properly tuned Fl-22 will not show the "blob" and therefore will, in fact, have better resolution. I set mine up so that I have a small green line on the screen so that I'm not losing the segments.

This all comes down to personal preference. I am a long time Vexilar user and fish with people that use Marcum. I've also tried a couple of them out. I just prefer Vexilar.

I had both the LX 5 and the Fl22. In the end I couldn't get used to the Marcum from being a Vexilar user for many years. In my opinion I hate having to adjust the zoom on the Marcum with their set up. Takes way more time then the Vexilars quick turn of a knob.

Target separation is better on the FL 22 by far either in weeds or 50 feet of water. I have seen them both in action before my own eyes at the same time and the Vexilar was out performing the Marcum especially in direct sunlight with the flat screen.

These are what I have encountered with having both units side by side and that is what I noticed.

In the end the Marcum went back to the store and another Fl 22 came with me.