• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

OVS Cameras

iffwalleyes

Question

I have been looking at the OVS 400 and 500 cameras and thinking about buying one. I like the options that are offered on the 500 sounds pretty nice do they work as well as they claim. I was just wondering if any of you have had any experiences with these models good or bad. Or are there other brands that are better to go with. I like the case and monitor better than the Aqua Views and the Atlantis just looks cheap to me. Also, I fish Lake of the Woods alot and I was if any of you have had experience with them up there do they work alright or is the water to mercy. If they don't work up there I think I might just stick with the Vexilar and forget about adding a camera to my gear. Thanks for the info.

2 answers to this question

Best thing to do is to rent each one and try it on the lake you fish the most. Could save you $$ on something you might not want. Used the OVS500 on Mille Lacs a few weeks ago. I have also used the AquaVu Mc2x as well. What I like about the OVS500 is that it's the only camera I know out there that gives you 3 lighting options in the same unit. No light, IR-(Invisible light)and Multi colored lights-(Hi beam but visible to fish) The Aquavu gives you either/or depending on the model, plus depth and temp at a higher price. The 500 comes with a screen status indicator telling you which way the camera is pointing in respect to your monitor as does the and a mechanized steering arm that moves the camera at the touch of a button. I am not an expert on these by any means but when it got dark it didn't really matter which camera I used, you cannot see more than a few feet at best. They both seemed like good units and worked well during the day. Hope this helps.

I've used the OVS 400, but the 500 would be nice. You can waste a lot of time trying to get to the right depth/camera direction.

Nice unit, and it's held up well. No experience witht he Aqua-Vu.