• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Boat registration?

Question

Hi,
End of the summer I got a very well-used 12' aluminum boat as a gift, and the sticker is up. How do I register a boat with no paperwork?

------------------
<)/////><{
RobertC

5 answers to this question

RObert

I did this very thing a couple years ago. The prev. owner lost the registration and couldn't find it - plus it hadn't been registered for a number of years (according to the stickers).

Take every number you can find - the hull null, the manf. serial number and the # on the sticker if you can read it, plus the previous owners name down to the local registration station. They will have all they need to make the switch.

Did this same process for a snowmobile this fall. No problems.

UG

Robert, just go to any registrar that handles boats. Tell them you bought it at an auction. Look on transom, there should be a hull#, also you can look inside, if there is any tag, also if it still has license numbers on side, they are valid too.

You just tell them same thing you told us, they will help you with no problem.

Great! Thanks ya'll. Now I just have to figure out who the last registered friend-of-a-pal-who-knows-a-buddy-who-married-someone's-cousin was that my Father-Outlaw traded with to get me the boat!!

------------------
<)/////><{
RobertC

I have a similar question. What happens if I can't find a hull number or any number on a boat. Is there anything I could do then? I have a boat that was registared once in Wisconsin many years ago anf the guy I got it from was using it as a duck boat. If I start pealing paint I might find something but that is going to wait until spring.

On older, smaller boats, MN isn't much of a stickler on registrations. I bought an OLD (1950's) boat from a resort a couple years ago. He gave me the registration info he had so I knew a little about it, and also a really basic 'bill of sale'. There was no hull ID plate or number of any kind. I managed to figure out the manufacturer from a little metal plate on one of the seats.

Bottom line all the state really wanted was my money and as much info as I could provide. They might get a little fussier on a Pro-V or something, but for an old beater boat I don't think they care much. The big reason for hull ID, etc. is it's easier to identify/track down if its stolen AND for insurance purposes.