• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ive been pondering between more so twards the .223 as if i dont have time to reload rounds i can go buy some for realitivly cheap. i will be using the gun mostly for striped gophers in the pasture and long range targets, maby a few prarrie dog trips. i hear the .223 cant hold its own past 300 but the 250 burns the barrels rather nicley and is expensive to shoot with out handloading. also what is easier to reload as im a noob at rifle reloading but ive been shot shell reloading for a while

wind drift on light bullets makes shots over 300 yards hard. Unless you spend a lot of time at the range and most ranges dont go much past 200 yards a few 300 yards ones. I am sure you could find a long range range but you said you dont have a lot of time to reload just thinking that means you would not have much time sit at the range.

i live out in the grass land part of the state and could make a dirt pile with the skidder at 5 yards or a half mile.. im just saying if i wanna shoot after work before it gets dark and i dont have anything loaded up i can cheaply buy some to go have a good time..

Any gun you chose will not do well with cheap ammo. Decent 223 can easily do what you want and you can get a gun and ammo for less than you'd spend on a 22-250. You also could consider a .17 for what you're going for. Lot less expensive to get started and it will give you plenty of action.

No, I would never load for a 223, but I would shot a 22-250. That being said for your purposes a 223 would be fine for you. Not nearly as fast or flat but for gophers and that sort it would be fine. I would say the 223 would lose out starting at 200yds.

I reload for my 223, 8 years ago it didn't make sense to reload since I could buy a box of 50 black hills remanufactured ammo with 50 grain vmax for 22 bucks, they are now over 40. I can reload my 55 vmax for about 27 cents a round or 13.50 for a box of 50. AND the accuracy of the load is way better than the Black Hills Remanufactured...