• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

FL-18 AZ problem

EconGuy

Question

When I first started using the AZ feature on my FL-18, it worked fine. The left side of the flasher showed the bottom 6 feet with three or four inches between the bottom and the top of the flasher. Recently, that distance has has gotten smaller so that now there is only a very little distance between the bottom and the top of the flasher (less than an inch). This makes it difficult to use the AZ feature since there is such a small area to read. Has anyone else hasd this experience? Am I doing something wrong?

11 answers to this question

Which power mode are you using? How deep of water? You play with the gain at all???

------------------
-FNC

"Hell froze over last week... glad I brought the Vex"

Are you moving from hole to hole without switching it back to "norm"? Has your vex been updated? Do you have the right depth setting for the water you are fishing? Scott Steil

here is what i have found.
make sure you have it on the right X. if your under 20 ft i had to have it on 1X, if over 20 and under 40 i have had to have it on 2X, you get the idea. and if you swith holes or something funny is going on switch the dial back n forth and you will be set. i have not had a problem with it and i have the fl18. i almost always use it matter of fact and it works nicely. good luck

Thanks for the responses. Turns out I need to do the update. I called Vex and they said I could mail it in and when I told them I was coming to the Cities for the Sportsmen Show they said bring it to the Bloomington facility and they would fix it on the spot. How's that for service? Great product, great service.

Yep, they'll get the update done on it lickity split. A big reason I got my 18 before X-mas was because I was going through the cities on my way to the holiday gathering with the rest of the whole fam-damily. I knew it was gonna need the update based on the serial#, so I stopped in. Was out the door in about 3 minutes! (P.S. while you're waiting, mention that you saw a buddy with a cool Vexilar hat and wanna get one too and they'll most likely hand you one for free; worked for me!). Great service!

------------------
Best FISHES,
Matt

I'm going to check if I need the update, but see if you can help on this one?

Was out on Mille Lacs yesterday and the AZ worked fine, could see the bottom 6 ft of 28ft of water. Later on I moved and when I switched to AZ, the bottom came up to 2-3ft on the bottom 6 ft of AZ and so I could only jig the top 1-2 ft of the 6ft of AZ. I know Mille Lacs has a mud bottom, but if bottom is bottom, the graph should have showed the bottom at 0 on AZ and I could still jig the bottom 6 ft of 28ft. Unfortunately I could not. Is my graph needing this update? I've only had it for about a month. Help!

FL-18 Software Update
---------------------
There is a software update available for the FL-18 color flasher. This update is free of charge. It will help the unit maintain a solid lock on the bottom when using the Auto Zoom feature in certain ice fishing conditions. The update applies only to FL-18 units with a serial number of 192500 or less. The serial number can be found on the back of the unit under the power and transducer connections. Some units have already been updated. If the back of the unit is marked "Version 2" or "V2", it
already contains the update.

To get the FL-18 Update, send the unit to:
Vexilar, Inc. Attn. FL-18 UPDATE
200 W 88th St. #10
Minneapolis, MN 55420-2752

When you send the unit in, please include a short note inside the box including your name, return address, and telephone or email. You will only need to send the main "head" portion of the system. We will attempt to keep turn-around time to a minimum. A day or two is our goal.
The update is installed by connecting the FL-18 to a special "flash" programmer. Some units will need to have the main processor chip replaced before it can be updated.
Again, the update and the return
shipping are free of charge.

Replacing Parts
---------------
Maybe a gimbal knob or your transducer support arm fell down the hole last year, or maybe the dog ate your Ice-Ducer float. Whatever you may need, now is the time to take care of those little loose ends. You can get these hard to find items in the Vexilar Direct section of our web site or by simply giving us a call. And while you're at it, why not make a little improvement to your system by adding a protective Soft Pack or a Mag Shield to make the display easier to see. Oh, and if your transducer test is showing you a wide red line at minimum gain, an S-Cable will give you much more control in shallow water.

Vexilar Direct - http://www.vexilar.com/purchase/direct/direct.html
Contact Vexilar - http://www.vexilar.com/help/contact.html

It's sure looking like winters is coming on strong this year. Get ready for a great ice-fishing season by making sure your gear is ready to go.

Be careful out there,
Team Vexilar Staff.

Vexilar Inc.
200 W 88th St.
Minneapolis, MN 55420-2752
www.vexilar.com

------------------
ed-logo.jpg

http://ed-carlson.fishingbuddy.com

I'm on my third generation of Vexilar, two of which were reconditioned ones from the service center[my sons talked me out of the first two] and I have nothing but good to say about their service center. Since I live close to the service center I have taken in units for some out of town kinfolk who do original things with them[buried in snow for a week, blew out of a truck, etc. ] No hassle, no red tape. The last one one was plain worn out. They replaced the motor, bearings, bushings, and tank tested it. Threw in a free hat. No charge. I don't know how they make a profit, but I will never buy a flasher from any other company. My only complaint was when I asked Sue at the front desk to write a note to my wife, explaining that the new Vex should come out of the food budget, since it was used to gather food. She refused. Told me I was on my own.