Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
  • RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
BigDogRob

Big Buddy question...

When I hook up my 20# cylinder with my 12 hose and filter it quits working after a short time. Is the thing freezong up since it was outside sitting directly on the ice? The question is do I use the add-on filter when using the 12' hose or should I just not use it at all? Will that make it work without having it quit on me? I have since been using the 1# cylinders, but would love to be able to keep the heater on high for more than a few hrs without changing tanks when it's -10 and the winds are whipping.

Thanks

I suspect you have some moisture/water in the male end of your hose fitting. Most people think the tank is frozen, no it usaly the valve or the fitting freezing up from condensation.

Would that freeze up even though I assembled it in a warm garage, or is that just from water in the tank that gets up to that point then freezes? I am just wondering I guess I haven't tried to use it in the garage and see if it works without the super cold. What would I do in the case if it is freezing up at that point? eek

I had the same problem happen in Ely this past Friday. Found that the -25 temps in the morning prevented the coupler from making a good seal with the tank, cutting the pressure down. When the sun warmed the coupler a bit, I was able to tighten further which completely solved the problem.

Thanks, I will check that before I take it off. I still love my Big Buddy Heater! the fan is really great and it will be in the big house for a back up just in case on big trips.

Don't mean to steal your thread, but I have another question on the big buddy. Looking at buying one for a backup (also less burn chance with the kids versus a sunflower head) and I was curious if you guys use a regulated hose or not when connected to a 20# tank. I've read that it gets rid of the need for the filter, but I also know that the heater itself has a regulator on it, so wouldn't a second be unnecessary? Thanks for the replies

I use the regulated ~6 foot hose with no filter. No issues in 1 ½ years. It attaches with a quick connect to an unregulated fitting as far as I can tell.

I use the regulated ~6 foot hose with no filter. No issues in 1 ½ years. It attaches with a quick connect to an unregulated fitting as far as I can tell.

No filter for me either. I've had issues getting it going with the filters on. I use a 6' hose. Done it this way for 3 or 4 years now w/o any problems.

I find the big buddy completely unreliable. I use my"back up " mr heater/cooker without any problems.

wookie, i believe its recomended to use a hose with a regulator on it,for use on a 20lb. tank, i got the quick connect hose with a regulator on it and have had zero problems with it,i leave the hose hooked up all season,to the heater, and shut off the valve on the tank to burn off the fuel in the line,when shutting down for the night,which is also recomended,

as far as mr. heater cookers, i used to use them but didnt like the noise

or the head aches from fumes, IMO,

mike.

I have learned in the past, that the filter is likely needed because of the oils that come out of the rubber in that hose that is added between the big buddy and the 20lb tank. Apparently those oils (which come out of most rubber hoses)cause the problems in the buddy. Not sure if it gums it up, plugs it up, or whatever. You may get lucky for a relatively short period of time, but as that hose degrades a little and starts to break down, the oils come out of it and get drawn into the heater.

I also have the 12ft hose with the quick connect and filter on it. I also use a 20# tank. I once had the same issue too, now it works all the time.

Here's what I do....

-Attach both ends. Make sure the end that attaches to the buddy heater is fully attached. Turn both valves on. Next, turn the valve on the buddy heater to high for 10 seconds or so. I'm assuming this allows gas to flow. Don't ignite it yet.

-Now turn it back to off. And now try to re-ignite it. It should work now.

I've always started from low to med to high on cold starts.

Hope this helps.

I also have the 12ft hose with the quick connect and filter on it. I also use a 20# tank. I once had the same issue too, now it works all the time..

If you have the 12 foot hose with the regulator at the tank and the quick connect fitting you do not need a filter. Not even sure how you would install one with this setup?

Don't mean to steal your thread, but I have another question on the big buddy. Looking at buying one for a backup (also less burn chance with the kids versus a sunflower head) and I was curious if you guys use a regulated hose or not when connected to a 20# tank. I've read that it gets rid of the need for the filter, but I also know that the heater itself has a regulator on it, so wouldn't a second be unnecessary? Thanks for the replies

The regulated quick connect hose does not need a filter.

The quick connect hose needs to be regulated at the tank. There is no internal regulator built into the heater for the quick connect. The only internal regulators in the heater are the fittings used for the one pound cylinders.

sorry. i meant that i have the 12ft quick connect hose with a regulator on it. it's the one recommended from mr.heater. i was seeing if anyone was paying attention.

Boy do I feel like a Dummy! I finally took a look at my hose and found the reason mine is freezing up and quitting! Not to the fault of the heater, but my own!!!

Boy do I feel like a Dummy! I finally took a look at my hose and found the reason mine is freezing up and quitting! Not to the fault of the heater, but my own!!!

And that was confused...

When i grabbed the hose, I grabbed one without the regulator on it!!! Talk about not paying attention! I guess it is a lesson learned...lol I will be able to use it though on another house in the next year or two. So not all is lost I guess, just spending a few more bucks to get the heater to work right. I would've thought I would notice when attaching it to the tank, but I guess getting stuff done in a hurry isn't always the best way.