• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anyone else saving a lot of money on bird food this year?

hockeybc69

Wow....I'm going through more seed than I ever have all of a sudden. I had over 50 redpolls (1 hoary) here today along with constant chickadees, red and white breasted nuthatches, 7 juncos, 2 cardinals, 1 pine siskin, 3 goldfinches, and a few blue jays. I'll admit that my bird feeder spread is borderline obsessive at this point, so I'd be kind of ticked off if it were slow.

Oh sure rub it in grin

I think that our yard is a little too open to keep them around for any length of time. They are one of my favorite birds!

Actually, I'm surprised to see the Pines too, and to see them sticking around daily. I thought our yard might be too open as well, but we do have a couple nice pine trees near the deck and I think that helps them feel better about it. That, and a ton of seed!

We've had a sharp-shinned hawk camping here the last few days so the brisk activity from earlier in the week has slowed dramatically. crazy

Get youself a Purple martin or a Dove decoy ( I have two martins and one dove ) and put them out by your feeders. The hawks will always go for the slowest bird and there is nouthing slower than a decoy. You can tell when a decoy has been hit, it will be hanging upside down. Once the decoy has been hit move it to a new spot. This will give your song birds a chance to get away.

I know hawks need to eat, but not in my yard.

I may try that and just see if this causes them to focus their attention on the house sparrows around the barn. Sparrows are relatively slow and dumb although I haven't been able to totally eradicate them. I'm never averse to getting some help from the occasional small raptor in that department. They've done just that in years past. Fascinating to watch and gratifyng to see the remains of their handiwork on top of the bales, telling me that even when I don't see 'em, they've helped themselves and me too. smile