• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ninilchik Fishing?

its a small little town and if your not fishing i dont think there is really much to do. personally i would stick with homer for the ocean fishing just cause thats where i have gone out of and have done great every time. might not get the barn door halibut, but you will deffinatly get plenty of 30 pounders which taste better any ways.

I too have been to Ninilchek twice..both times halibut fishing..the last time was about 2 years ago..haven't been very impressed with the size tho.

they go out during slack tide and fish...when you keep 2 hallibut you put your rod away and watch..the fishing I had was one after the other..let it to the bottom and had a fish on ..but only 20 lbers..6 people on a boat and the biggest was 35 lbs..

If I was to do it again I would take a full day trip out of Seward and they come in with a mixed bag of lings,salmon,halibut and some other bottom fish..I watched the boats come in and they all had nice mixed catches. and seem a lot bigger.the half day trips do not go as far out and the catches are not as large or mixed..

good luck

Most of the resorts around Ninilchik chase halibut. I've been out of there a couple of times using Heavenly Charters. Depending on the day you go the tide can be really big. Last time we were out we were using 6 lbs of weight and the lines were still getting dragged down the bottom. No one could tell if we had a bite. We just had to reel it in and take our chances of having a fish on. Reeling in 6lbs against the current is a real chore. We didn't keep anything under 30lbs. One guy had a 90 and we also had couple of 50's. It is true that once you catch your limit of two you are out, but we could chuck the small fish back into the water and keep going. Check with your captian. It's kind of cool to launch off the beach if you haven't done it before.

If you do go to Ninilchik ask about the resturuant "UpChucks" and have a meal there.

I'd rather go to Seward and do a multi-species trip, but you will pay an additional $100 to $150 to do it. To me it's worth it. There is a lot less current out of Seward.