• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anchorage in June

I'm heading to AK in June for a couple weeks of fun. Been trying to find a decent deal on a rental car and everything I find is between $800-1,000. I checked with the major companies that are located at the airport. Is this what I can expect to pay or does anyone have info on a better deal?

Greg

They kinda got ya up there. You need to remember that the summer IS their season and the bulk of the cars go unused all winter. You may be able to find some cut rate deals on the web but if you get up there and it doesn't pan out you may not find a car. I've found you really pay thru the nose for anything with 4WD or larger vehicles. In the past I just shopped the major rentals, signed up for their loyalty programs, and also searched the net for "coupon".

You might want to look at renting an RV, that way your transportation, cooking facilities and lodging can be wrapped into one and you can park next to a river and fish late/early.Split between a few guys it's not a bad way to see ak.

If anyone in your group is active or retired military you can get a good deal at Elmendorf AFB. We rent minivans at about 1/2 the rate of the airport from Hertz who has the contract. We have to pick it up at the base, but we can return it to the airport.

I have also used CarRentals dot com and got a good rate. Their rentals are from major rental companies and are guaranteed available.

It's going to be the wife and I this year and we are going the RV route. The trip will be more of a tour, but I'll get in lots of fishing too.