• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need advice on a 750 Gallon Aquarium

NoodleSalad

Question

15 answers to this question

Hot tub!

750 gallons is HUGE.

Actually, you could install a warm-water fishery in there without worrying about fancy coolers/heaters. Lots of freshwater fish species will survive just fine with some oxygen and food. Fatheads, snails (they reproduce like crazy), sunnies and largemouth bass, for example, all tolerate (or thrive) in room temp water.

Not like tropical fish, where you've gotta keep the temp warmer, or cool-water fish like a lot of trout, where you've got to cool it.

But oxygen is the key.

Not to mention you could put in 3,499,221 minnows and start selling bait out of your living room. grin.gif

A few sunnies, crappies, largemouth bass, bullheads, walleyes......

I think you can have these but I think you will need a permit to keep them and they do count against your daily limits as well.

---------

Fishn'Lady

Do yourself a favor and leave the bass out of it unless you plan on having a bass only display. I've found that the bass become too fiesty and territorial and will beat the snot out of other species in the tank. A friend and I did a 150 gallon with crappie, sunnies and eyes. Feeding time is the absolute best to watch these things. Their attitudes change of course as well as their color. Make sure you provide the fish with a "no light zone" and plenty of habitat.

Stephen

Man that is a huge tank. Ive had tanks all my life. My biggest is a 55 gallon. When I got some small game fish, it got the point of being a part time hobby. I had Walleyes,Crappies,Catfish,Smallmouth Bass and Sunfish. Its fun to watch thier movements and feeding habits. But then as time grew on, you will find yourself making a trip to the bait shop every week. You do not want to feed them anything from a pet shop for disease purposes. I only had a 55, your tank will be nightmare to keep up. Its more work than imagineable. If your serious and can devote lots of time to this tank, I can help. A close friend of mine has owned a pet shop for 30 years. My suggesting for your tank is to put some fish or animal mounts in it with some neat lighting, wood,plants or rocks. It would make a great display case.

Good Luck

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/
click here

[This message has been edited by D-man (edited 01-15-2003).]

Whoa! My buddy has a 100 gallon and has bullheads in it. He's rotated sunnies in & out of it, but they get really dominant. The bait shop in Monticello has two 55s with perch, sunnies and crappies in it. I've heard walleye don't do well in captivity - their range is too big.

If it were mine, I'd keep a population of panfish and bullhead in it. Plenty of plants, too. My friend does fishing experiments in there. The bullhead wil eat dry food off the bottom if their barbels touch it, and will rise to look for anything that breaks the water, but live monnows get honed in on & attacked. We think it's the electrical field they home in on - like saltwater fish do.

Legally, only a kid 16 & under can transport live gamefish.

------------------
<)/////><{
RobertC

We have a 125 at work and it has perch in it. We were told that walleyes don't do well either. Some guys kicked a little money together to go to the baitstore and buy some fish. Perch were over ten dollars a piece! Now come on!
A hundred and twenty five gallon aquarium looks rather silly all set up with wood,rocks,plants and two measly little perch swimming around. There are a few more of them in there now but I just can't recall how it happened. wink.gif TROY

Ditto on that largemouth thing. They will take over (in a smaller tank that is). Never heard of one that big. We had a 55 gallon and they ate everything in there, except the bullheads. We used to feed those bass anything and everything, including leftovers. The best was, every now and then we'd buy a couple of mice from the pet store and drop em in. Man they loved them.

I dunno... I've kept Largemouth before and never have had a problem. I think the key word is only have one. They seem to leave fish of other species alone atleast, unlike bluegills which will attack any "sunfish" type fish (including crappies, rockbass, etc..) They also grow much faster than many other fish, espically if you plan on putting them into a tank that big! I have to agree on the walleye thing. I have a small one I caught and all he does all day is hide underneath a piece of driftwood; He'll suspend over it at night. He's much lazier than the bullhead; who goes nuts when I turn the light off. He seemed to ignore the roises I put in there; but he seems healthy still, oddly enough.. so he must have got a few when I wasn't looking. The bullhead wasn't all bloated when I dumped a dozen in there, neither was the crappie; so it must be getting some. Still it's not all fun to watch. A variety of different species mixed and you shouldn't have much of a problem.. aside from maybe Northerns, most of the other "agressive" speices really only seem to be tertorial to fish of same or simmilar species. I don't however know if this is true in a larger setup with more and bigger fish.