• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lake Fork...Bucket List

Lake Fork is about the same distance from my house as the place I go to in Ontario. I have always wanted to make that trip (winter) and next winter/spring will be the first time that I could go without work conflicts.

I feel pretty skilled at the bass game, but am wise enough to know that Fork doesn't compare to Ontario or any of the stocked bass ponds that I fish at home.

What is the reality of making a trip there, i.e. the chance of success? I'm too proud/stubborn to hire a guide, but would want to know about resorts (that supply necessary info).

I have never fished Texas, but would like to make it a yearly deal. I'm looking for something that compares to Canada resort style accomodations (cook my own meals), but has the family friendly atomosphere, etc.

toadbelly,

Thanks for the info, have you ever been to Fork? Or anywhere down there? I haven't been anywhere 'south' so am looking for any tidbits from up 'north' types laugh that have been down to Texas, for a no [PoorWordUsage] assessment. laugh

I have never ventured north to Fork, but it seems to be a pretty consistant lake for 10+ pounders. Perhaps not as hot as it was back in its heyday 90s but still a power.

Have a look at Choke Canyon if you want a little South Texas experience. It's a huge lake and is coming into its own as a major spot for lunker bass anglers. Plus, you can always set a jugline for some monster flatheads if you get bored. I was on a trip where a friend caught a 10 pound bass right on the shore across from our cabin out of an aluminum jon boat.

Also, Fayette County Reservoir is a fun spot for consistant big bass, though not in the lunker range as above. But still big.

I always thought that looked like a cool place to fish, along with Falcon. I haven't heard if things 'settled down' on Falcon as far as violence. I would think with the lack of fishing pressure based on that...that would be a hot ticket.

I always thought Choke Canyon was pretty remote. Does it have a number of places to stay in the area? Stuff for wives to do?

The only place I have stayed on Choke are the cabins/shelters that are provided in the park on the waters' edge. Everything there is community shared, but the South Texas wildlife there is abundant (javelina, turkey, quail, hog, deer...) I have noticed some lodges and hotels on the way in plus some cabins that look nice, all just a few miles from the water. Nothing resort style, but just right if you want to fish and kick back.

I don't have a wife so I can't speak for what she would do (she'd better fish if she were with me) but the town of Three Rivers is near. It's a small typical Texas town that I'm sure has some shops in the downtown area for browsing. Several small cities are also easy driving distances for exploring.

Yeah, mine is pretty good at the fishing thing, although if they aren't snapping, she reads...or so I guess. When I'm running the front of the boat, I rarely look back to see just what she is doing... laugh

Thanks for the info. I will probably pick your brain more and more as far as navigation, techniques, and lures...as I get closer to biting off on the trip.

I've been fishing texas for over 10 years. Out of all the lakes I've fished, fork is easily the most intimidating. Navigating the lake is total chaos, you must have the most recent gps mapping software and only idle speed unless you are on the bouy lane. (imagine fishing a dense MN flooded hardwood forest with only the tips of the trees showing). You will trash your equipment, including boat and rods if your not careful. Don't try to fish the whole lake, try to pick apart a small section and learn it well. I've done the best in mustang bay, it has deep water and lots of arms and fingers that the bass use to move up to spawn. The water is always muddy unless you're by the dam. Most of the time I can't see my stainless prop under water. Florida strain bass are a totally different game. It seems like they like to look at a bait twice as long as normal fish, fishing really slow is usually more productive than covering water. in the springtime I do well with spinnerbaits getting reaction strikes in the early morning and evening, other baits that seem to produce are deadsticking tubes and senkos. Keep in mind a good day on fork is 6-12 fish, usually they will average about 4lbs. If it's really windy, you can still fish several small lakes nearby. We have caught trophy fish from quitman, holbrook, winsboro, and big creek to name a few.

I've been fishing southern texas the last few years and I have much better success with numbers and big fish. I've had 100 fish days on Choke canyon and Lake Amistad, and the weather is always much better. If your going to southern texas fish the last week in feb or 1st week in march to hit the big fish spawn. If your going to northern texas I would go either the 3 or 4th week in march to hit the big females during the spawn.