• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

GPS - Which unit is the best?

Question

I am looking for a GPS and it seems the opinions that I get are from people who read articles and think they are experts. What Brand/model do you have and what do you like or not like about it. Thanks much!!

Keeter

14 answers to this question

I have a Gremin 12. I like it a lot. It is inexpensive and works very well. Be careful of so call "experts" I had a person at Gander tell me that you could down load gps points from Lakemaster. I almost bought a more expensive unit, but I didn't and it work with lake master. I would recommend this software also. Very accurate gps points

------------------
Go Buckeyes

Keeter, how much are you willing to pay? I have the Garmin Map76 and I am very happy with the unit. The basemap is marginal but you can upgrade that. It has a lot of memory and works really good with Lakemaster. There is a new Garmin Map76S out now that I would really like to have. The new one will run you $449 or something like that. It can give you barometric pressure and some other advanced features. I also has a lot more memory. The map 76 will do everything you need but will still cost you $349. There are a lot of other units on the market some cheaper some more expensive. It all comes down to how you will be using it. I really like Garmin and I feel comfortable recommending them. Scott Steil

Hey guy's check-out, getagps .com They are $100.00 or more cheaper on some units. No tax,no shipping. I have ordered two units from them no problems. check it out.

[This message has been edited by D-man (edited 01-15-2003).]

Keeter-

If you would post what your main use of the GPS would be, you would get a lot better advice.

Do you just want to be able to get bsck to a waypoint? Do you want roving map with downloadable databases? topomaps? highway info? (these things tell you what's available at the next exit, complete with phone numbers)

Do you want to be able to make and store lots of routes? How much do you want to spend?

The questions can go on and on.

Al

Be careful if you're looking for a Garmin unit and see big bargains on the web...Garmin has been known to only honor warranties on units sold from an authorized reseller...so check their HSOforum for the latest list.

ScottS - I also have a Map76 and am extremely pleased with it! I have it mounted on the dash of my truck using a RAM mount, and in fact just added an external antenna (found on hsolist for 19.95) and can now pull in 8 or 9 satellites at max power. Yields about 8.8 - 10 ft accuracy now while on the dash...way overkill, but heck...why not?!

--Prudence

I have the Garmin E-Trex. Costs just over $100 new, is waterproof, has a lighted screen, stores 500 waypoints. I can go online to map servers and enter waypoints for places I want to go, or get a cable to connect the Trex to the puter and download it. I can mark spots in open water in the boat and come back on ice, which is nice. I can get an adapter to plug it into the truck lighter, into the wall outlet, or run it off AA batteries.

It doesn't have fancy mapping capabilty, like some of the $200 to $500 units do, but I don't need it for that.

I just bought a Magellan Merridian Platinum. It does everything the Garmin map76S does and it was a lot cheaper. You can also buy different memory chips. It retails for 349. at Gander, but I bought it for 241. at Compuplus.com. It consistantly gets me within 10' of my destination. The true test will be if I have any problems with it down the road.
Garmin may be the best, but why buy an expensive Bennelli shotgun when you can shoot just as many ducks with a less expensive Remington. (On my budget that is.)