Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
jegerjack

Tipup Line breaking!!

The line on my tipups have been breaking. A few weeks ago while fishing I had 3 or 4 fish break my tipup line. I did not occur while I was reeling in but the flag went up I walked over and there was no fish on they had broken the line. I know this because a few minuets later I caught a fish with the line that I had on in its mouth. Is it the quality of the line? Am I not checking it enough? The line was just put on so it was not old, and I feel that I am a pretty good at putting lures and hook's on. Any info?

Thanks, JegerJack.

------------------
"What did the old man trade for these guys, a used puck bag?"

If your line ( leader line I assume ? ) is in good shape I'd say your spindles need greasing. Somtimes when spindles go bad moisture gets into the tube. The spindle will turn smooth as silk at home after you thaw out your tip ups and they are warm but gets pretty stiff the longer it sets out on the ice when your fishing with em.
The next time your out fishin check your boards and see how smoothly they work after they have been out all day. IF they are stiff and don't let line flow freely as they do when they are warm it's time to replace or regrease em.

It broke off right where the leader connects to the line. I forgot the name of the line (I am at work) but it is a braided line. I thought it might have been the cold water and or the quality of the line? I guess the guardian fish was on the prowl that day....

JegerJack

------------------
"What did the old man trade for these guys, a used puck bag?"

Hmmm... that almost sounds like if the tip up is working properly it is a knot problem. I would think it is almost impossible for line to break by the hit that releases the flag, that should not be stressing the line at all.

How old is the line?

Dacron based line will degrade in storage and not hold up. If it is a year or so old, change it.

Try Teflon coated tip-up line. It is tough and will not soak up water and freeze up like uncooked spaghetti all over the ice.

Supper braids tend to get burried in the spool on a tip-up and cause for poor performance. This is why I stick with quality nylon or coated dactron.

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson..><sUMo>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

backwtr1@msn.com

http://ed-carlson.fishingbuddy.com

Are you using a barrel swivel or tying direct from your braid to your leader line ?
If your tying direct , use a barrel swivel instead to make your braid to leader conection.

Like Eddy says , your braided line may be shot too.

if your line is snapping before you get to the flag chances are your tip up spool isn't working right.
are you using a cheap tip-up?
my plastic 6$ tip ups sometimes catch and dont run line out too well so the fish can feel it or it creates too much tension.
in my mind the wood tip ups with a metal spool work the best by far without going too technical.
as for breaking at the leader, most likely your knots aren't good. look for fishing knot links on the web and find out how to do these properly.
it isn't the teeth from the fish so it has to be one of those. good luck