• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tipup Line breaking!!

jegerjack

Question

The line on my tipups have been breaking. A few weeks ago while fishing I had 3 or 4 fish break my tipup line. I did not occur while I was reeling in but the flag went up I walked over and there was no fish on they had broken the line. I know this because a few minuets later I caught a fish with the line that I had on in its mouth. Is it the quality of the line? Am I not checking it enough? The line was just put on so it was not old, and I feel that I am a pretty good at putting lures and hook's on. Any info?

Thanks, JegerJack.

------------------
"What did the old man trade for these guys, a used puck bag?"

8 answers to this question

If your line ( leader line I assume ? ) is in good shape I'd say your spindles need greasing. Somtimes when spindles go bad moisture gets into the tube. The spindle will turn smooth as silk at home after you thaw out your tip ups and they are warm but gets pretty stiff the longer it sets out on the ice when your fishing with em.
The next time your out fishin check your boards and see how smoothly they work after they have been out all day. IF they are stiff and don't let line flow freely as they do when they are warm it's time to replace or regrease em.

It broke off right where the leader connects to the line. I forgot the name of the line (I am at work) but it is a braided line. I thought it might have been the cold water and or the quality of the line? I guess the guardian fish was on the prowl that day....

JegerJack

------------------
"What did the old man trade for these guys, a used puck bag?"

How old is the line?

Dacron based line will degrade in storage and not hold up. If it is a year or so old, change it.

Try Teflon coated tip-up line. It is tough and will not soak up water and freeze up like uncooked spaghetti all over the ice.

Supper braids tend to get burried in the spool on a tip-up and cause for poor performance. This is why I stick with quality nylon or coated dactron.

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson..><sUMo>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

http://ed-carlson.fishingbuddy.com

Are you using a barrel swivel or tying direct from your braid to your leader line ?
If your tying direct , use a barrel swivel instead to make your braid to leader conection.

Like Eddy says , your braided line may be shot too.

if your line is snapping before you get to the flag chances are your tip up spool isn't working right.
are you using a cheap tip-up?
my plastic 6$ tip ups sometimes catch and dont run line out too well so the fish can feel it or it creates too much tension.
in my mind the wood tip ups with a metal spool work the best by far without going too technical.
as for breaking at the leader, most likely your knots aren't good. look for fishing knot links on the web and find out how to do these properly.
it isn't the teeth from the fish so it has to be one of those. good luck