• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fishing opportunities: MN vs. ND

During that Open Forum with the G&F at Casselton, the Fisheries people really got me fired up for some ice fishing.

But in truth, I'm torn. Based on some wink, wink, nudge, nudge comments they made, there are a few "honey hole" sloughs not too far from civilization (i.e. Fargo). Since they can't legally stock water without documenting it, I found out there are only a few in Cass County that have been stocked by the G&F.

Now, obviously, this does not mean these are the ONLY bodies of water with fish in them. I'm often very curious when I'm duck hunting a certain spot, if it would, in fact, have a few perch or pike in it.

In any case, my time is limited and I have two options:

1) Based on researching the stocking reports and whatnot, I've deduced that the greatest concentration of fishable lakes to Fargo resides in the Hankinson/Lidgerwood area, which is approximately 60 miles away. However, if I were to travel the same distance East to Minnesota, I land smack dab in the middle of Lakes Country with hundreds of fishable bodies of water within mere miles of each other. In this case, I'd lean toward Minnesota, as I feel my options are nearly limitless, and chances of finding a bite are better.

or...

2) Go exploring. Seriously, how many people have walked out to a slough, punched a hole, and seen what was down there? This has got to be the only way those little secret spots are found, correct? The process could be expedited with a little bit of intelligent sleuthing. I mean, one does not simply start drilling holes in every body of water. Chances are many either are too shallow or, especially given our recent history, are relatively new ponds only just recently filled from a wet winter and spring. So, I'd be left with larger water bodies that would survive the lean years. It's mighty tempting, as I know an area not far from Fargo that looks promising for some exploring.

It all comes down to time and patience, I suppose. As a weekend warrior, time for scouting unknown water is limited. Is it worth it to explore uncharted waters when I KNOW a certain other lake in the neighboring state WILL have fish in it? Maybe my inner Sherlock Holmes will get the better of me and I'll be more inclined to experience the former.

In any case, what are your plans this winter? Stick to what you KNOW or try something NEW? As I said, it's tough not to just head to Lakes Country for a day of fishing when the reality of catching fish is higher. But then again, finding my own slice of heaven in our own backyard would be pretty darn sweet, too.

I agree with Notcho. .there are untapped waters out there where the fishing can be phenomenal.. .the trick is finding them and / or hearing about them before they're fished out.

Sometimes it's tough to look past waters your familiar with to completely gamble.. but sometimes it pays off!

marine_man

I know of a few ponds around GF that holds nice perch, bass and large pike. You will need a snow cat to get them if the snow ever flies. I don't get into the exploring around ND. I would rather just go to LOW. I bet if someone put there time in around some of the dams like McVille, Tolna, Matejak, whitehead, Fordville and Loretta to name a few up in NE part of the state. I found one hole duck hunting, Steward lake north of Kelly Slough, I wonder if thats deep enough for fish to survive. I have a few ideas where there could possibly be good fishing.

I grew up just (10-20 miles) west of the area in Nodak where you are talking about. A lot of the sloughs DO have fish in them. PM me and i may be able to pinpoint a few of them, just don't expect the information to be totally accurate since i have lived in MN for the past 8 years. The ones i'm talking about typically have good numbers of perch, crappies, and northerns and a few of them have walleyes. The size of the fish isn't great to begin with and the locals tend to "fish out" all the larger fish. I don't agree with the statement that you have to go where nobody else is, but it certainly is rewarding to "steal" a hunt (er...fish?) right out from under somebody's nose. The houses are on the lake for a reason. Those locals know there are fish there.