• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Throw the dart again... wink I've actually fished it a few times, but I'm no expert on Lake Thompson. I have fished SD for 30 years, so I can give you some good advice as a native of Minnesota.

If you don't have tip ups, invest in a few before you go. My favorite is the Polar Pop-up, but they have changed that model by adding an orange flag to it for better visibility. I leave a couple of Beaver Dam models over in SD, and they work well, but they don't seem to be as good as the Polar Pop-up model that has its spool mounted vertically.

Make sure everyone in the group has tip ups. It allows you to spread out on the lake, and you can fish a varieity of depths. Best of all, if you're having trouble making the set on the tip ups, they are great "indicators" of where the fish are active. I always jig in the hole where I miss the hook set on a tip up--a frequent occurrence--and will continue to jig if I'm marking fish or start to catch them. Jigging spoons were very good early last winter, but January can also see fish that want a slower presentation--dead stick or bobber lines. You'll figure it out by experimenting.

If I could only bring one lure, it would be a Buckshot Rattle spoon. Glow pink bottom. Bring everything you've got, though, and use a variety of set-ups on the tip ups--jigs and hooks (red/colored/glow).

Thompson has some interesting structure, and timber is always a good place to start. You don't have to get right in the timber, but the fish will relate to it and move out from it on breaks or points. It's a big lake, though, and mid-lake areas will be going at that time, too. You will catch both perch and walleye (oh, yeah, the "snakes" live in there, too), and Thompson has Proud Angler fish in both categories. You will have a chance to catch your "biggest perch."

The weather is the wild card. If we get heavy snows again this winter, it will shut down ice fishing, again, for most people who fish SD. The past two winters have been brutal for ice fishing, and the lakes received very little pressure. Last winter, in the Glacial Lakes area, I experienced somoe of the best ice fishing I've ever had in 30 years--and I've had LOTS of great days over there. (My brother-in-law could be a guide. He's one of the reasons I would never divorce my wife. grin) Once the blizzards hit in late December, it was all over in terms of lake access for most people.

If you have snowmobiles, you may have to bring them to have access to Lake Thompson in January.

Don't be afraid to check out other waters near Thompson, too. Lake Whitewood is shallow, but it has, at times, held good populations of nice perch and walleye. With the high water, it may be good this winter.

Good luck. I hope the weathe cooperates for you and your group this coming January.

Thompson is a great lake and should be very productive again this winter. Vehicle travel is usually reserved to the north end; but from time to time, guys will try to plow off of other access. Best bet is to bring sleds or chained up wheelers. There is tons of structure, both "new" and old. Flooded road beds, timber, stock ponds, and then the classic main lake basin structure as well. Stay mobile. I recommend a lakemaster chip in a gps; the water depths won't correspond, but much of the older structure is there on the map. Studying the map ahead of time and finding 4 or 5 locations that look promising will really cut the lake down in size. Fishing the timber can be fun, but the old lake basin also has some interesting structure as well. This lake was a giant cattail slough/pasture/bottom land until the late 80's. Hard to imagine it was once a duck slough when the water was splashing over the top of the Oldham Grade this spring.

don't forget about the crappies in this lake there are some dandies to be had when you get on them

there's tons of old road beds, dams, fences etc under water. Lord only knows how much tackle I have lost to the fences in that lake.

Its unfortunate that the water levels got so high this year and it was a mess for the homeowners around there, but we are going to see some great fishing as a result of it. I am looking forward to fishing some spots that weren't underwater up until this year again.

take this as hearsay, as I haven't been there myself but I heard as of this last weekend it was good 8-9" of good clear ice. I will be headed towards Huron over New Years, I can stop and get a look for myself on my way.

As mentioned, call the Bait Box in Lake Preston 605-847-4590, you will probably talk to Bo and he can tell more than I can.

Eric when are you guys going? Got any dates set?

Just got back from SD today after spending a few days with the in-laws. We fished Bitter for 2 days and had an outstanding walleye bite in 18-22 feet of water. We weren't alone. Lots of people fishing over Christmas holiday, and many of them were catching fish.

Do call ahead before you head over to Thompson. The warm temps have made ice conditions a bit tenuous. Lots of open water on several lakes and sloughs in Glacial Lakes area; saw a large permanent that sank on Dry Lake (Florence)yesterday.

We took out a four wheeler on Bitter but didn't venture out too far on the main lake basin.

Hopefully, the weather will get a little colder after the first of the year and Thompson will start to some additional ice.

Good luck!

I haven't been out there but the reports I have been getting have been mostly pike. A few Walleye and Perch mixed in. Just about everyone that gave me these reports were in about 15 ft. of water and most likely drilled a few holes and sat in that spot all day. I would imagine there are plenty of perch and walleye to be caught it might just be a case of moving til you find them. I may head out there this weekend. If I do I will give you a report.

Eric, let me know if/when you guys reschedule, would be fun to hook up with you.

Anyone up for a HSO get together? might be possible to plan now that we actually have some ice.

I would be up for a get together some time. Still haven't made it out to Thompson ice fishing so it would give me an excuse if nothing else.

This is second hand info. but I heard 12-14" this weekend and people were starting to pull perms out with full size trucks. This was on the east side of the lake. I would almost guarentee there are thinner spots out there but it is at least partially drivable.

Went up to 81 ponds this past Sunday and talked to some guys who were on Thompson earlier that day. They said the same thing...ice varies and the bite was slow. They said they fished from sun-up to noon without a bite. They covered a mile loop, drilling holes occasionally. Secondhand info, so take it for what it's worth.