• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Eureka area for pheasants

Looking for some reports on your success in the area. The Wife and I along with the Springer are planning a few days for a hunt in the area or further south towards Roscoe.

We don't have access to private land and usually hunt walk-in, WFP, etc. or ditches. I have seen the reports of lower numbers of birds and the time hunting is more important than the number of birds bagged.

Any info is appreciated.

I was within the vicinity of Eureka last weekend. Numbers are definitely down based on what I've witnessed in the past. Some say 50% decrease over last year but I'd say it's more than that.

If you don't find much in the cattails, look to short grass near a food source (wheat or bean stubble). We didn't see too many in relation to corn.

Too bad snow geese don't taste as good as pheasants. They (snow geese) sure seem to be in good supply between Aberdeen and Watertown. Also saw a couple Antelope East of Andover.

Good Luck out there.

We hunt the Roscoe area regularly, and while numbers are down, we've still managed to get our birds every time out. Gotta work a little harder, though. Not sure about as far west/northwest as Eureka, but the Roscoe/Faulkton/Redfield area is still pretty good.

I have gotten a few sharpies around Pollock 30 miles west of Eureka along the river. They are there but I didn't see enough to warrant going after them only. They were always incidental to pheasants when you got close to the river and in lighter cover. In my group one gets up and they mostly think hen and don't shoot unless i tell them to shoot. Since they have no experience hunting them and don't identify them. I just got back from a hunt in Watertown area and it was not worth the license fee. 5 days 8 birds for 2 guys. I did have a good time but the birds are down in that area for sure.

Mwal

We returned late Wednesday from our South Dakota hunt. After scouting the area around Aberdeen, we were able to get some good action and didn't make it to Eureka.

There were very few hunters, actually didn't see any in the Walk-in,CPR, CREP, etc. We had good success although we didn't fill out we have plenty for the smoker and my grandson had a blast on his first pheasant hunt. He shot up a box of shells! We got up a couple hundred birds, although most were well out of range we found some that held tight and the Springer was exceptional in flushing those not spooked to fly until it was too late.

This was the dogs second trip pheasant hunting in his four year career. I think he would give up Grouse hunting for more pheasant trips. Same with my grandson.

Glad you had a good time and had some success. Like I said, there are still birds around but you have to work a bit more for them than in the past couple years. And they get mighty skittish about a week and a half into the season...at this time of year, slamming a car door will send 'em flying a mile away.

Thanks, it was a blast for the grandson, and me.

You aren't kidding about the car door noise. I was just joking around with the GS when he would say "look there must be a mess of birds in that grass" so a that time I stopped and opened and slammed the truck door and then claim " no, no birds here". Before that we were talking about the birds getting up when they just heard the truck coming down the road or when we would close the doors ever so quietly!

The the GS got in on the joking and did the slamming of the truck door at a place I had picked out to hunt, and to his surprise a couple hens jumped up!

And he thinks we were just hunt'in!

smile