• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Strike Master 2000, Is it any good!

Avid Angler

Question

Hey guys and gals!

I am on a limited budget right now, but I came across a ice auger in Walmart today and was wondering if anyone know if it is any good. It is a 2 horse power Strike Master 2000 with an 8 inch auger. It has the single blade to it. I am wondering if anybody know if it is worth the money. It costs about $250! I would appreciate the input!

Avid

18 answers to this question

I have had one for 5 years now, only problem is I have had to have the carb rebuilt 3 times, a little excessive in my book. Never used Ethenol in it, always "summerised" good. I don't know what the deal is it's just three times it wouldn't start and I had to get the carb rebuilt, this always happened on or before the first trip on the ice each season, always keep a hand auger as a backup.
Otherwise it has worked great and for the money I don't think you can go wrong. I can't imagine needing to drill a whole any faster.
Good Luck.

------------------
Have a good one!
CWMN

[This message has been edited by cwmn (edited 01-13-2003).]

Avid Angler:

In my opinion i would pass on the Mag 2000 and try to find the best deal you can on the Laser Mag. The Strike Master Mag 2000 and the Laser Mag use the same dependable 2hp engine,but the Laser Mag has twin cutting blades and rubber coated handle grips.
Even if you have to pay a little more for the Laser Mag, you will be very happy with this power auger.

Good Fishing!!

Lucky Fish, the auger used in that comp was probably a Lazer Mag, not the single chipper blade.

Avid, if you can hold out, try and find a used Lazer Mag 2HP. I bought one off of here last summer for under $200 from D-man.

That single chipper blade will cut new holes just fine, but if you want to re-open an old hole,..its a tough job!

Avid my buddy has had one for 3-4 years now we never have a problem with it. starts on the first or second pull always. i went to walmart in coon rapids on friday nite walked right passed it did the double take on it 244.98. had to ask the guy in the blue if it was an 8 or 10 he said 10 put her in the cart and that was that.

Grabs , we open our holes all the time dont seem to have a problem with it. maybe just lucky?

I have owned a Strikemaster Mag2000 for 2 years now in the 8-1/4" model. I absolutely love it! It has performed flawlessly, and cuts plenty fast. You would be amazed how fast that single blade gets ice outta the way! Side-by-side with a brand new Lazer Xpress, my Mag was about 3 seconds slower cutting through 18" of ice in my own little test. Any way you cut it though, if you buy a Strikemaster 2hp, you WILL be happy! I, myself, could not justify spending an extra $100 on one more blade. As for opening old holes, I have had the same luck as Snowking...opens 'em no problem! I highly reccommend the Mag2000...its a beauty!

can anybody else comment on the reopening of holes, that was my one concern about buying this model. i have a pemanent house is the only reason i care otherwise it wouldnt be a concern. any more info would be helpful.thanks

The two- and three-blade models are marketed as opening frozen-over holes better than the chipper blades. I've never used a chipper blade to open one, but I can tell you from experience my Strikemaster XL-3000, a 3 hp with a 10-inch auger, works quite well for that. It's got two blades and the center cutting point.

I've opened many old holes with my single-chipper blade Strike-master 2000.
nooo-problem. runs great. i don't even drain the old gas out at the end of the winter.
I use it too much in the summer to dig post holes<<<<<<not kidding.

seeyainthewoods------bowhunter

I have the 8 inch and have no complaints other then the stupid plastic choke handle that broke on mine. I love my auger and can do all the things I want with it. I never noticed a problem reopening holes?
I have the point on the bottom, which not matter what auger you buy make sure it has one, and my auger stays right where I want and drills straight and true. Brother in law has the 2 blade without the point and that thing jumps all over before you get to drilling, but after drills 10 times faster then my single blade.
I got mine at KMart a few years ago for a steal also and have not regretted it a second.
Buy one and if it doesnt do the job reopening holes, through it on hsolist and get more then you paid for it(no lie there) or put it on this board in the used gear for sale board and get most of your money back out of it...... sounds like a win win deal to me.

Well we may need to clarify something. It appears that there are augers available with a single chipper blade w/o center point, single chipper w/center point, dual blades w/o center point, dual blades w/center point, and then the Ultra 3 blade system but we won't go there.

I had a 2hp single blade chipper w/o center point, now this was terrible at reopening holes, the thing would jump all over the place and in a permenant house this really sucks because you can start to bang the auger on the walls and crush your hands at the same time if you're lucky you don't damage something else first.

I now have a Laser with dual blades and center point,..what a dream this is!

Also there is a big difference between re-opening holes that are frozen up well and others that just have a skim and really just need to be widened. Try opening an 8" hole that has shrunk to a 6" with a chipper blade, this is impossible center point or no center point. And the semi mild winters we have been having this is all I typically have after a week of leaving the house on the lake cold. Now this week is a different story

[This message has been edited by Grabs (edited 01-13-2003).]

I think grabs is correct on needing a center point for repoening holes, mine works great at reopening holes. Mine is a second hand mag 2000 with a 7 1/4" cut it is about 10 years old. I have also had the carbs rebuilt 2 times. I am told by the shop that I need to use gas without ethonal because normal gas eats the gaskets, is this true, I have no idea, but I still use regular gas. I would not be afraid to buy the one at Walmart, a single blade works great for early ice! I fish a fair amount though and my single blade 2000 is a little slow for me. My pop runs a single blade 8 1/4 strike master cobra(2 hp. I think) and that is much faster than mine(it turns almost twice as fast). The rpm's have as much to do with the speed of the cut as the # of blades. With strike master I am pretty sure you can swap out the augur part for a different style(like a 3 blade) at some point in the future if you decide it is not enough speed.

BIGEYES i was told basically the same thing about ethanol gas. not good for 2 cycle engines i use the non ethanol for my boat motor and lawnmower. it costs more but a person really doesnt use that much gas on these things.thanks for all the auger info guys ,very helpful.

I have the basic eskimo 2hp and it works
fine.

It has a center point and two blades, cuts fast enough and seems to open old holes without to much trouble.

I bought it at the new Sportsman Warehouse earlier the winter for $215, I thought that was a good value.

It has the same 2hp motor as the strikemasters.

I have had the 2000 MAG with single chipper blade and center point for 4 years. Never had any problems with it starting or opening old holes. I agree with the plastic orange choke lever though - broke mine about 1 month after I had it - need to be aware of it so you don't snap it off.
Paul S.

I've owned a mag 2000 for 4 years. I wouldn't think twice about buying another one. I think it cuts fast enough, reopens holes just fine, and it was less than 200 bucks when I bought it.

Buy the 2000, spend the money you save on real college necessities--beer

I've owned a mag 2000 for 4 years. I wouldn't think twice about buying another one. I think it cuts fast enough, reopens holes just fine, and it was less than 200 bucks when I bought it.

Buy the 2000, spend the money you save on real college necessities--beer