• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

SD Glacial Lakes

Lynn Lake can be very good for perch, as can Reitz Lake. There are a lot of other large, flooded sloughs that can be good as well (Hauge Slough comes to mind). Lots of good perch - and ice fishing in general - lakes in Northeast South Dakota...

I can name 4 lakes off the top of my head that I would hit before Waubay for perch right now in that area. I'm calling it right now...SD state record perch will be broken this winter yet again.

Reetz, Bitter, Antelope, Thompson, Sinai, and a bazillion others all have great perch in them.

My goal for this winter is to catch one perch over 2 lbs.

As long as we are on the topic, I should mention that I find Waubay to be really hit-and-miss. Some of the best days I have ever had fishing have come on the ice on Waubay; I have also had days where I have been all over that lake drilling 60 or 70 holes and getting nothing.

It can be really, really good or really, really bad. And it is rarely anywhere in between. But some very, very good days out there this past summer have me hopeful for this winter...

No, I don't think late ice would be appreciably better than any other time. I think the main point to take away here is that while Waubay may have the 'name recognition', don't overlook the many other lakes in the northeast part of the state that offer outstanding fishing...

There is thousands of acres of great perch water in the ne corner, and aslong as we all keep our lips sealed they'll stay that way!!! Can't wait to get back down there and hit some hard water!

No way that's going to happen. Cat's already out of the bag after a few lakes got pounded this summer for perch.

Thanks for the response guys, thinkn' about a trip to NE, SD or Devils.

Devils is a lot further for us and the size is pretty intimidating.

Was checking guide costs and they're pretty proud of their services up

there. Looks like SD lakes might be a better option. Quite a few have

done the "Perch Express" deal from around here and got skunked.

As long as we are on the topic, I should mention that I find Waubay to be really hit-and-miss. Some of the best days I have ever had fishing have come on the ice on Waubay; I have also had days where I have been all over that lake drilling 60 or 70 holes and getting nothing.

It can be really, really good or really, really bad. And it is rarely anywhere in between. But some very, very good days out there this past summer have me hopeful for this winter...

I hear ya! perch are not even worth chasing on waubay since there are so many others to choose from. walleye can be good but I don't usually chase the walleye.