• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Vexilar Battery Problem

Question

I bought an approx 1 year-old vex fl8-slt about 2 months ago. It works fine, but I have noticed that the battery indicator level drops to 1/2 power after about 30 minutes of use. Is this normal, or do I need a new battery? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. P.S. I always fully charge it after every use.

9 answers to this question

Before you buy a new battery, try and borrow one from someone else to use for a day. If it does the same thing, it could be the battery level indicator that's bad. How long are you getting out of your battery now? If you're not getting at least 12 to 18 hours of running, it could be time for a new battery. Also, batteries seem to take a better charge if they're warm before charging. And once they go stone dead , they often can't be brought back,some sort of chemical change. Some pro explained it but lost me after the first 10 words.

Warm up will make a big change in the status of the charge.

That is common really. Even new battery's will drop to half quickly and hang there for a day or so of running.

Next time you use it on a full charge for lets say 6-8 hours be sure to bring it in and allow it to warm up overnight. Then reconnect the power and see where the indicator sits. I have seen cold units bounce back to 1/2 or better after warming. The last 1/2 or so will last a long time.

(FYI) Some old Vex pro's liked to keep their pack charge around 1/2 as they "thought" it produces a better reading/target separation in shallow water. I am not to sure if that is a proven fact or not? I suspect this theory came from older FL-8 unit users that were not using an S-cable to limit signal strength in shallow water. The use of a S-cable would see a noted increase in target separation at lower power outputs produced with the S-cable, thus interpreting that as a handy tool to up performance. The new FL-18 has built in capabilities to calibrate power so that is not a issue any longer.

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson..><sUMo>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

http://ed-carlson.fishingbuddy.com

I thought the same thing about my FL-18 battery, so I contacted Vexilar. The top light signifies that the battery is fully charged. It will drop to the next light as soon as you use it. When the battery reaches 75% it will drop to the next light. It is normal.

That sounds logical kslipsinker, but my battery used to read a full charge for the first couple hours. Now it starts at 75%. I definetly think mine has lost some longevity.

I have the SLT, not the FL-18. My SLT goes from full charge to half charge on the indicator, not to 3/4 charge. So I guess the 18 has that 3/4 light.

But here's the deal. On my SLT, the company sez that the light that's lit indicates the charge is above the reading. So when it reads 1/2 charge, the battery is BETWEEN full charge and half charge. When it reads 1/4 charge, it is between 1/2 and 1/4.

So it can take a long time for a battery to go from just under full charge (where it reads 1/2) to just over 1/2 (where it still reads 1/2).

I just got a new battery, and it'll stay on full charge only half an hour to an hour before the reading drops to 1/2. I got five years' use out of my first battery, which was new when I bought the unit.

If you want a new battery, you can get them at Gander Mountain and other outlets for $20, including a charger.

------------------
"I've driven farther before to catch fewer fish . . ."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 01-13-2003).]

Much thanks guys. I've been recharging as soon as I get home, when the batt is ice cold. I'm gonna start letting it warm up now before I recharge. Once again, I appreciate the help. Clayton

i think its time for me to buy a new battery my vex is 2 yrs old but my battery never lasted as long as some of the guys posting here.after about 4 hrs mine starts to give those kind of pacman ghost type readings.i hate when it does that.do these batteries have (memories) or not i have been told both ways.

I replaced my battery after three winter's and should have done it last year. The charge did not last long and the performance is very noticeable.
I would buy one and and check out the difference. You will need one eventually anyway.