Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Muskie Reels

18 posts in this topic

I am hoping to get some input as to what the best muskie reel I could purchase to get into the sport. I have a pretty decent med-heavy 7 foot rod but wanted to find the most reasonably priced quality muskie casting reel to go with it. Any help would be much appreciated!

As far as value/quality for the $$'s, I'd lean towards an Ambassadeur C3 reel. I've got two and love them. My Dad's used Ambassadeurs for years on his musky rods, but they were older models. I got him a 6500 C3 for Chrismas last year, and as far as I know, it's all he uses anymore. Their pricier reels are very nice too, but on a budget, the C3's are an excellent choice. Just my 2-cents.

------------------
Best FISHES,
Matt

6500,s are your best bang for the buck. Just make sure if you are going to be using it alot that you buy an extra rice gear or two. That is the gear that drives the levelwind and when the teeth strip off they look like grains of rice in side cover. they are only a buck or so and on the newer reels they just snap on and snap off. If you have one with you its a quick fix even out on the lake. grin.gif

I picked up a new rig last year for the big boys. Bought the Calcutta, its sweet, but worth the $$, I dunno. Anyone else like the Calcutta?

Stephen

Calcutta is a beaut but way out of my price range. C3 can't be beat for the price. Kinda like the Chevy Impala of Muskie reels.

I have 4 of the Amb. 5500 C3. My brother has 5 or 6 of the 6500 C3. We have not had any problems with either. I believe the only difference between the two is the line capacity. I may be wrong on that though. Anyone know for sure what the difference is between the two? I would like to hear!

A trophy is in the eye of the beholder!

Why in the world would anyone need 80lb test
line in this part of the world? Is there some 300lb yellowtail tuna out there that I don't know about???

KWKFSH,

With the new super braids you kind of have to disregard the lb test rating. Look more at the line diameter, its more about the way that the line fishes not what it can drag in. I personally use 65-100 lbs Power Pro.

Do you know of a good place to get those "rice" gears, I have two reels down with that syndrome?

kwkfsh,

One reason for 80 lb test line is the baits. When you are throwing 10 inch Jake Baits around lesser lines will fail. The constant casting of large heavy baits puts an extreme amount of stress on fishing lines. Loose a lure it can set you back $20.00 or more.

Also, a muskie fight is not long. In fact it is rather short most times. But in those few minutes you will have you line rubbing the bottom of the boat, wrapped around your trolling motor, cutting bull rushes, and rubbing on rocks. Any lesser line will cost you fish. As long as it takes sometimes to make one muskie bite loosing it to inferior line would be very heart breaking and foolish.

David Swenson
http://muskieguide.homestead.com/

I agree with the 6500's. One nice thing is that there are lots repair centers to keep them working good. I send mine out every other year and it costs about $12-17 and they come back as good as new.

I have been fishing the C-3s and am greatly satisfied with the performance,but I like the C-4 just so I have the option of rippin those bucktails through the water faster.

Any reel repair shop that does Abu will have them. Just ask for a rice gear and they will know what your talking about. grin.gif

Yup, another testimonial for Ambassadeur. I own two 5500s and four 6500s. Use them for everything from bass to big catfish. Only key difference between the series is line capacity. For muskies, where you need heavier line and favor long casts or trolls, I'd for sure go with the 6500 series. You can get a perfectly fine 6500 C3 or C4 for $75 on sale at the big chain stores like KMart or WalMart. With a big name brand piece of equipment, there's no need to buy from a small store that specializes if fishing/hunting, etc., the big boys have the best prices.

Beware, there are many different manifestations of the 6500. Some are $75, some $175 or more.

If you care for the $75 version (three of my four are this inexpensive one), this is a reel you can pass on to your children.

Abu is definitely the way to go. I've thrown the Calcutta and it's nice. But for as little as I "Ski" fish it wouldn't be practical. As far as line Power-Pro is the way to go.