Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jt24

Fishhouse Setup

7 posts in this topic

Ya use 2x4s and rip them in half and use them for your walls. I used 2x2s and we had to pick through them to get good ones and to top it off they are 1 3/8 x 1 3/8. Which means if you use stryofoam insulation 1 1/2 is to thick and 1" would be sloppy in the walls. I also did the sandwich thing on the floor with two 1/2" piecies for treated plywood and 1" foam insulation. Make sure you use the really dense stuff. I would say rattle reels would be alot cheaper and even easy to build. I made some out of spools that you get when you buy fishing line. I siliconed pieces of plastic on each side and put in a few split shots for noise. Scewed to the wall and works great. Not fancy but cheaper than buying them!

Hey guys thanks for all the replys on my last post. Me and my dad decided to go with the perm. I am going to make it 8x14 so it isnt to big for lakes around my house and isnt to small for mille lacs and lakes like that. But now i need the info for making it happen. I dont kno if i should go with 2x2 for the walls or 2x4 alot of guys tell me you dont need 2x4 and 2x2 are not as expensive. Now for the floor i have heard about this sandwich flooring and dont know if i should do that either, if not what should i do for it? And for the ceiling i really hav no clue what to use. For the holes should i do the electrical beeper for when you get a bite or just buy rattle reels? and then all the information about the inside and accessories would be awesome. pretty much all you guys can tell me would be great. Thank you all so much if it werent for you guys i would still be debating to even build a fishhouse or not. Walleyemaster

Use the 2x2's for the walls and ceiling, but don't buy them at the lumberyard. They're ususally junk. Pick through the pile of construction grade 2x4's and then rip them in half with a tablesaw. It's cheaper and you get better material. A friend built his using the steel 2x4 substitutes and claims he got more strength with less weight, but I don't know the cost on them. I've usually built my fishhouses in August or September in the yard. Something to keep busy with until goose and deer season arrive.

Jt24 is completely right, I was making a floor for my portable. It called for the use of 2x2's around the edges and the spec's for the floor had to be exact. Luckily before I started to cut the plywood floor I measured the 2x2's or should I say the 1'1/2"x1'1/2"... God I love Menard's... hehehe...

JegerJack

------------------
"What did the old man trade for these guys, a used puck bag?"

2 x 4 steel studs would be lighter, and for a small structure the price would probably wash. Ask the Menards/Depot/Ace guys to hook ya up with sill plates, and header plates, too. 3 1/2" cavity will give you room for batt insul, which may not have the same r-val per inch as rigid, but also doesn't cost near as much.

------------------
<)/////><{
RobertC