• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Road Legal?

Question

If i would build a 8x14 fishhouse and have retractable wheels is that to wide to drive on the road legally? or can you build the wheels inside without having to go to hydralics? Thanks for the help walleyemaster

2 answers to this question

Walleyemaster12-
Last night I actually sat down and began to write a letter to your mother about how positive an experience building a fish house can be. The letter got rather long, and before I finished it I felt that maybe it would be too preachy to do you any good. I felt I was sticking my nose where it doesn't belong and I deleted it, but I'm glad the three of you have decided to give it a shot.
I built a shack (my first) last winter, and everytime I've used it this year I seem to pick it apart with things I plan to do different next time. I have a house that gets complimented on occasionally but I definately made my share of mistakes along the way. You would do well to learn from some of those experiences by living vicariously through the topic link "Hubcat" provided you on one of your previous questions. There are also some nifty "new" products out there who's existence I was unaware of during my project. I would include "catch covers" in my plans also if I were building a shack right now.
I have been learning a little bit about frames lately and I can help you with some of your questions. Legal width for highway use is 8'6" (102"). If you plan to have the wheels on the outside of your shack than be sure to keep them within 102" and you will be legal width. This is a law, that by all accounts I have heard, seems to get little enforcement . However, I also remember the day when having someone dig through your luggage at an airport was a rare occasion too! wink.gifLaws are for everyone, and I prefer to not have to be the one guy that law enforcement uses to set the example to the rest of the world.
If you are planning to purchase a professionally manufactured retractable frame be sure to check back to Fishing Minnesota before you buy elseware. There should be some rather exciting news for do- it -your-selfers here very soon. I'll help answer any questions I can in the future also so don't be afraid to ask.Remember to keep it fun-TROY

[This message has been edited by Aqua Eye (edited 01-12-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Aqua Eye (edited 01-12-2003).]