• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

reel issue

bry c

Question

I have a graphite body reel that works fine at home but as soon as gets outside it is hard to crank. I think the grease sets up. Any suggestions as to how to clean and
re-lube the reel without effecting the graphite?

2 answers to this question

I've had a similar problem with spinning reels used for winter trout fishing in Minnesota. I took the side plates off, cleaned the gears and interior of the housing as well as possible with a light duty solvent (without taking everything apart), cleaned the gears with a light duty solvent and relubricated with reel oil - a heavy weight synthetic motor oil would probably work well too. I use that in my snowblower and it turns over easier with synthetic in the cold - not that there's been a concern with cold this winter!!

I would probably relube with grease for the warm water season.

For my ice fishing spinning reels, I take out all the grease and use several drops of light machine oil{3in1 oil]. Like was said before, regrease it before you use it for extensive casting in the summer. I have one German-made reel from the early 60's that is so tight in tolerances that to use it in winter I had to clean it completely and use only WD40. I was finally told that the reel is a collector's item and I was an one-who-thinks-I-am-silly for using it. I bet the guy that sold it to me at a garage sale for a dollar wishes he had it back.