• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

which auger to buy?

Question

12 answers to this question

I have a 3hp Jiffy 9" Legend Stealth with that new cutting design. I love to cut holes because it just flies through the ice. Starts first pull every time. People said the 3hp is too heavy but unless I was running a marathon with it the extra 7 lbs. is no big deal. The extra weight actually seems to help the auger through the ice.

It's really this simple. Decide how wide you want your holes. Buy an auger with that size blades. Decide whether you want the extra power of a 3hp or the lighter weight of a 2hp. Buy that size head. Jiffy, Strikemaster, Eskimo? It's almost a who-cares question. The cutting systems are a little different on each one, but the motors basically are the same, and there are thousands of satisfied customers for each brand.

Jiffy and Strikemaster cost more than Eskimo because they advertise more. Eskimos are cheaper because they advertise less. All three are good.

I have a Strikemaster XL-3000, which is a 3hp 10-inch, and I like it just fine. I'd like a Jiffy just fine, too. If it runs and cuts, it's a good auger.

Don't be afraid to buy used, either. I did, paying $150 for a two-year-old auger that cost $300-plus new. Haven't regretted it for a moment.

So pick the size you want and get the best price you can for any of the big three brands in that size, then cut like crazy and take good care of it.

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 01-10-2003).]

I agree Bushwhacker The STEALTH is just one ice eating machine Eh.

The 2HP rips through just as well, even with a 9" lower unit.

That blade system don't care what kind of ice you got, soft, chewy, hard, wood, sand, gravel, guardian fish, space ships...whatever...it will chew it up with ease.

RRRR...fish....RRRR...fish...RRRR...><,,>

Yup-Yup, I vote JIFFY!

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson..><sUMo>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

http://ed-carlson.fishingbuddy.com

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 01-10-2003).]

Pig_sticka, I used the hand auger last year and things were fine until a late season venture out on URL and the ice was about 3 1/2 feet thick. I was on my knees for the last 6 inches or so.

Just wait until the ice is another 1 1/2 feet thicker and see if you think the same way smile.gif

[This message has been edited by upnorth (edited 01-12-2003).]

Ya, it could be worse.

When I started ice fishing we chopped all the holes, 3' of ice or whatever. Yes it sucked, but nobody had power augers in those days.

It all breaks down to how much work you want to do to fish.

As you get older, the spud bar gets used less then ever.

wink.gif

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson..><sUMo>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

http://ed-carlson.fishingbuddy.com

It doesn't really matter which brand auger that you end up getting, they all will do the job. Most people will be biased towards which brand they use, which is understandable. All of the three main brands will cut very simalarily, so i would see what kind of price that you can get, and go with which ever one is cheaper. I personaly use an older eskimo, but have used both a Jiffy and a Strikemaster, and they all three have worked well for me.