• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dirtbikes - Return of the 2-stroke era

Dave S

Read in MC Rider that some mfr's are making a return to more production of 2-stroke dirt bikes. Reasons cited are the obvious.....cheaper to build, maintain and repair. Could there be more to follow? Maybe a return to 2-stroke ATVs?

Having owned a LT500 Quadracer in the past, I say bring them back. I would love to see today's technology put into a Suzuki Quadracer or Yamaha Banshee.

The only question I would have is how would these meet California's "Green Sticker" requirements?

Thoughts? Things you'd like to see incorporated into a new breed of 2-stroke?

Other then in the race categories of Dirt bikes, ATV's or sleds I don't think that they will be coming back to soon on any utility machines. The EPA standards for emissions and noise levels are not going to let it happen. And when you add all the things needed to make them quieter or run with less emissions, you have pretty much taken away the extra power they may have out of them. frown

About 8 years ago there was rumblings that Can Am was re-entering the dirtbike arena as well as Polaris 11 years ago. I think Polaris actually had a prototype built.

Looking back at Can Am (BRP) and their 2 stroke technology they have in their snowmobiles, it would be the perfect match for a return to 2-stroke bikes and ATVs. Not much of a performance loss either.