• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Joe Mauer

schmitty3

She aint calling today lol, his batting average has dropped 10 points since I last typed something in yesterday afternoon, .276 now 0 for 3 with 2 K's at present time during the Detroit dismantling today. The other 2 0'fers are vargas and rosario, I think they get a pass, rookie season and Joseph has a couple silver bats on his mantle. Someone explain his batting 3rd in our line up ? Cmon, triple AAA is the caliber he is batting at and has been. I coach baseball and have for 20 years now, I guarantee my 3 hitter isn't hitting .276 with no jacks or power, my .276 hitter is batting 8th and often used to bunt or hit and run/ help steal the guy, protect him maybe,heck my 9 hitter is at .303, I better think about a few line up switcheroo's, but based more on who we've played and who I want to get that 1 more possible at bat in the last inning etc. look at Miguel Cabrera's stat line today and realize he's making 2 million less per year than Joe Joe and doesn't have a head and shoulders commercial with that Steelers safety guy palomalu lol. former steeler and NFLer.

Joe will never live up to his contract, that's a no brainer. He was a + defensive catcher with a good swing who hit singles and doubles all over the park. He looked like he might mature into a consistent power hitter--and many people who get paid to analyze this stuff projected he'd become a consistent power hitter--and it timed out perfectly with his one fluke year. Result? He signed a massive contract (not his fault...we all would have taken $23 million a year; and not really the Twin's fault...he hit 28HRs, 96RBIs and batted .365 as a catcher and was the run-away MVP, the hometown hero, and a jersey selling machine that our playoff arch-nemesis Yankees wanted to steal from us--our hands were largely tied). And now he's dead money.

If he made $3 million a year we wouldn't complain about .286 and no jacks...but he doesn't, and that's aggravating to a team that needs help all over the field. But it's the nature of pro sports. You have to try to beat the next team to the big contract on a potential superstar. We outbid the Yankees and Sox for him and now we're paying for it for the rest of the contract. He's got a no trade clause and he's "un-dumpable" at this point. It stinks, but it is what it is.

What irks me isn't the money so much as the failure to admit the mistake and try to move on. Somehow, we feel obligated to bat him in the 3 or 4 hole based on...salary? I can't explain it any other way, but it's crippling. I cringe when he's up with men on and a chance to hit into a double play...because he will. For $23 million, he should at least be a ra-ra club house guy, but I imagine if he ever spoke up in the locker room it would be (in a meek voice) "Let's go...get em...I guess" (sheepishly looks away).

Anyhow, I'm done griping. As I've said, and I mean it, I don't blame him for taking the money. It was a perfect storm and we're stuck with the debris now. Joe's a seemingly good human being who can't justify a massive investment. He's not the first to do it and won't be the last. I just hope we don't squander too many years of our young talent by not adding a supporting cast when Buxton and Sano and Rosario start making us relevant again. And say what you will, but Dozier is my unsung hero. He's a heartbeat out there. I think his new contract was a good one and I hope he keeps proving his doubters wrong. What he lacks in BA he makes up for in so many other ways. He's not built to hit home runs but crushes a few anyhow. It makes Joe's lack of power seem otherworldly...how can that frame NOT produce power? I just don't get it. Okay, NOW I'm done griping smile

I don't love joe as #3 in lineup but really nobody else really on the team for that role. Joe paid as a superstar but doesn't perform at that level. But at this point for this season he's probably co mvp of team along with hunter, plouffe, and Perkins. Actually I'd give mvp to molitor at this point!

I don't love joe as #3 in lineup but really nobody else really on the team for that role. Joe paid as a superstar but doesn't perform at that level. But at this point for this season he's probably co mvp of team along with hunter, plouffe, and Perkins. Actually I'd give mvp to molitor at this point!

I'd add Neil Allen to the MVP list!

The actual stat is plate appearances are 1,186 and home runs are 15 the past 3 seasons. Are we going to see the first ever 100 rbi guy with no home runs ? I don't think he gets my MVP co-vote yet lol, it's been a different hero every night whether it's been pitching or hitting or a combo of things and that is a good way to go as a team. People can say the HR isn't that huge a deal but when you play a power position it is kinda at least. I've read many times this young season already where so and so's blast the difference in downing the whatever team you want to mention. The size and frame are there so it must be a lack of strength or the thought I lack enough strength. We all know that opposite field homer is coming sooner than later, he'll slice one out that way when the wind is ideal. This 2 strikeouts to walk ratio and leading the team once again in hitting into double plays makes me hold back my co-mvp vote, not to mention he hasn't scared a warning track yet. Is the ? of the day if not Joe who has your vote ? I think Torii Hunter at 40 gets mine so far, I expected nothing much maybe but his bat is still quick.

I am surprised that O.T.C. Has not yet posted a comment on Joe's Home Run. He is very quick to follow up all the games where Joe is not earning his money but you would think a winning HR would call for some kind of comment.. Joe went 2-6 and is now batting .284 with 24 rbi for those of you keeping track.. And the TWINS are 6 games over .500 whistle

Sorry about not replying but if you notice my posts they are 99% of the time just Tues-Thurs, never Fri-Mon. Yes Joe got one in Pittsburgh ! He pulled it also which with that slow bat seems hard to believe, before we get too fired up remember he leads the team in grounding into double plays and his strikeout to walk ratio is 2 to 1 so it aint all glory. He homers vs Pitt and so I get up north for the Memorial Day Wkd, mom says did you see Joe homered, she says he'll go on a tear now and watch finally a game and he's 0-5 think every other Twin had a hit. Honestly, he's a piece of the twins puzzle for sure, and yes an important piece. With a guy on 3rd game tied yes I'd hope he's coming to the plate. The team looks set really, the line up is ditto to the night before, we have good speed, good arms, timely hitting especially the back breaking with 2 out hits, team is getting along and has a lot of fire in it, it's a new guy every night kinda, Molitor seems solid and not so gardy like noticeable, Torii hunter has been huge for the team more so than his jacks/rbi's/ave. he's really helping pull the guys together and we seem so much more relaxed yet hungry. This new HSO format is kinda crazy lol. Keep the beard Joe ! Reminds me of Goober on Andy Griffith color episode when he became the philosopsher for you and me old timers lol.

I just think this group is reacting to the new voices of Molitor and Allen (Allen especially). it is now not the constant "twins way" instead it is, "Do what got you to the major leagues" especially for our pitchers. They are now not being made into clones, they are allowed to pitch their way with help from Allen to be better at it. He also helps them with their game thinking and they have confidence now. Hitters also are allowed to try and bash one out without worrying about hitting the ball to the opposite field.

Years ago when GArza was here throwing 96, we needed him to "control it" and "pitch to contact"... when you throw 96 you pitch for strikeouts! Still [PoorWordUsage]ed we sent him away because he didn't want to change his ways and thus was a bad apple... Do what you do best and if you get beat with your best stuff, then you were gonna get beat anyway.

Anyway I am loving the new pitching coach (Allen), his interviews are infectious with positive praise of the guys working harder to get better. He was on Kfan several weeks ago and stated flatly the pitching is better because the guys were coming in more and working on their craft beyond what he was requiring. Now to me if I had a coach/supervision/boss that was not taking all the credit when there is a turnaround like we have seen with this pitching staff and instead gives the credit to the people working hard, I would work that much harder for that guy.  

Sorry Bobby Bass been a long Summer and wasn't so sure why I couldn't post so how's Joe been ballin ? Any MVP or silver slugger talk ? Is Mike Napoli still the only 1st basemen ranking under him ? The dude lost his mojo when he got married and had kids, that's too bad. I hope we never face David Price in the playoffs because Joe rides pine then, our MVP does not bat against David Price, sure he would but he must have 0 confidence against the guy or he'd be in Moli's ear, bright side is his batting average is a little higher by not facing him.

The dude lost his mojo when he got married and had kids, that's too bad.

Its easy to become a critic of Joe now days especially with that fat contract. His numbers just arent there and looks like a consistant .270 is what were stuck with. Hes a good guy, local and as of a few years ago one of the top players of the game. I think it seems pretty obvious that his concussions more or less ruined him. The same thing happened with Morneau. It's hard to be too critical of a guy who suffered a brain injury. I guess thats why we have all come to expect that no one in the twins cities media will say a word or ask about this subject.

The phantom concussion so he could have the rest of the year off on a 90+ loss squad with wife at home. If he's still bothered by it I hope he realizes the team should get put 1st and maybe let gardy or now moli know I need time off, he says he feels "great" except for a few nights ago when we scored 15 and somehow our 3 hitter had 0 rbi's or the other night when the silverbatsmen went 0 fer but the rest including pinch hitters had at least a hit. Well since he's fresh cuz he isn't catching look out down the stretch here at least at the TB dome, he crushes in controlled environment.   

Make sure you all read yesterday's Star and Trib sports section(August 30th) of course the Souhan article then go to the baseball page and read the list of twins with hits that decided games either by tying it up or putting us ahead you will notice Joe isn't even on the page anywhere !!!! Morneau is way up there, Kubel is on the list, Hunter etc. Harmon is at the top, where's our silver batsmen ? We knew the formula and chanced it, you get Minnesotan's back at the end of their career not in the middle meaning Molitor, Winfield, Steinbach, Morris, etc. Joe has caught a break some in the batting average dept. he doesn't face Price or tougher lefties. ? is will be get to 10 jacks this year realizing Edwin encarnacion got to 10 in his last 22 ballgames, idk Joe, running on fumes at first, wind aided slicers to left, he'll get there. 

1,086 plate appearances from Joseph the last 2 seasons combined up to today Sept. 10th, 2015 = 12 bombs from our 6'5"  32 year old who's "never felt better" and likely those bombs weren't the difference in the game like Sano's in the 12th last night. We need an intoxicated GM to grab him off waivers in a few weeks and we can go with Glenn Perkins as our MN guy for a few years and sign Sano with Joe's $ or is everyone still worried with the theory if he leaves he'll explode for a new team.   

lol can't take the hometown boy catching heat for being the worst 3 hitter in baseball or should I say the least productive 3 hitter in baseball, the 30th ranked 1B in baseball. If he were from New Jersey I wouldn't be alone lol. It's just I'm tired of the mauer power signs, the remembering his metrodome days, his phantom injuries, on top of the contract, strike outs to walks 2 to 1, in the league leaders for hitting into double plays, the years of failure with the game on the line, his pathetic post season performance the last time we were in and more, need a drunk GM to take him off waivers this next time around unless you think he'll find himself again, but in all honesty " He's athletically burned out" is the truth 3 sport athlete, cretin days, tons of miles on those legs and when your legs go you go.The pressure of squaring a 95 MPH heater year in year out he's wore out athletically is my honest guess.

Don't worry O.T.C. I feel your pain. I tried to explain to these rubes how Joe Mauer would never work out here back before the big contract but everyone thought I was the dumb one.

From a fan's perspective, Mauer has probably been the worst signing in team history. From the team's perspective he may have worked out financially but I'm not even so sure that has been the case either.