Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Jiffy Auger Question

10 posts in this topic

I'm an recent proud owner (thanks Santa) of a new Jiffy 3hp Thunderbolt Auger and have a question for other Jiffy owners. When I run my auger at idle, the drill still spins; not teribly fast, but still enough to concern me. Is this normal? Is there a way I can control this?

I broke down and read the manual, but it doesn't mention anything on this.

Thanks in advance.

That shouldn't be happening. Apparently the motor is running fast enough at idle to engage the clutch. Feldman recommends in their manual not to mess with the carb settings, but who reads manuals! I'd think a tweek on your idle adjustment to drop the RPMs just a bit would solve the problem.

------------------
Best FISHES,
Matt

If it is a new unit, let it break in before you mess witht the carb. My 2 HP Legend did the same thing, but straightened itself out once I used it a while.

I agree, let it break in some first. The clutch is tight yet and will smooth out once it warms up.

If it ain't broke..........ya got it...Don't fix it!

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson..><sUMo>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

backwtr1@msn.com

http://ed-carlson.fishingbuddy.com

Its a good idea to follow the break in deal they have set too.. follow it as close as you can if you want it to last!

What break in deal. I have read the complete instructions and haven't found any break in instructions.

Your best performance will be when the engine is broken in. In most cases it will be in your second year plus of using the auger. According to Tecumseh it takes 20-25 hours to break in a 2-cyle engine

It's not a big deal. It might stop doing that once it's broken in, but if you want to fix it all you need is a screwdriver(I think it's actually a torx driver). If you look at the throttle linkage, there is a little screw at the back of it. Squeeze the throttle lever a couple times and you'll see how this little screw determines idle speed. It doesn't change any carb settings, only how far the throttle is in at idle. Turn the little screw out until the blade just catches a little every now and then. You don't want the blade to spin, just engage a little every little bit. Unless they've changes the basic design of the Jiffy 3hp over the last couple years you should be able to figure it out.

gill man

My Jiffy Legend did this at first too. After drilling (break-in)20-30 holes; it will correct itself. Enjoy it, they are the best!

Coldasice

You can turn the idle screw OUT a little on top of the carb this should take care of it. It is on top of the carb it is the stop for the linkage. Don't mess with the screw on the carb or you will have problems later on (a lesson learned the hard way). Since it is new though it would be covered by warrenty take it in the the experts look at it. You can get the warrenty work done at any tech. dealer. It should NOT spin. It isn't a matter of break in. This is a safety issue and tech. wouldn't want that. If it breaks in and is then not running at a high enough RPM then turn it back it. I had one that did the same think and every now and then the auger would catch and it would jerk out of my hands and sit there and spin not cool.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• First and foremost Donald Trump is an enemy of the Truth,why would the whitehouse ask the FBI  to knock down recent Trump/Russia stories ????What are they afraid of ??? Could it be the the TRUTH
    • Trumpettes would make a great anchor for said boat. 
    • Man the Avs are a dumpster fire this year, looking at that team when we knocked them out of the playoffs they were loaded with young talent and had the potential to be one of the best teams in the league. Now their stars are gone or playing way below their capabilities and everyone else looks like AHLers.

• Yet for all of our success in western medicine its hard not to look around and see people dropping like flies from numerous diseases and other health issues. Not sure if I am here to defend Juice or not but I will toss an alternative view into the pot.

I think sometimes overlooked in the healthcare mess is stress, lifestyle and belief. Stress is basically a killer, maybe more than anything else, if one can reduce stress you will go a long way to being healthy and happy. Of course getting cancer is a very stressful event so that can spiral out of control. Lifestyle is similar, eat healthy and exercise and you can take control of your health on your own. Not that healthy people don't die but the majority of the health issues could be traced back to what we eat. I kind of believe food is medicine, you are what you eat and all that jazz.

Belief is where I will catch the most flack but here is goes. Earlier in this thread people talk about placebo's, they are medical proof that the mind can fool the body. So if you have a strong minded individual why can't you do more? If one believes in the witch Dr. that is going to work for him, if one believes in western treatments that can work for that person. I know a guy who is still alive after the witch Dr treatment, we kind of ridiculed him in private at the time but for whatever reason it worked. The power of the mind can absolutely change things and this is scientifically proven, only our limited thinking can determine what we are capable of. I say go with what you believe and keep and strong and positive attitude. Maybe beating cancer is mental, then eat well, lower stress and take care of yourself and see what happens. I'm not saying don't use modern medicine but I wouldn't completely shut out the idea of using alternative treatments along side it and see what works for you.

Good read here about a guy who went back to an island near Greece to die. No placebo here but something could be said for lowering stress and lifestyle changes.
      http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/28/magazine/the-island-where-people-forget-to-die.html
        Another good article on the placebo affect, the man still died of cancer but you should read the story anyway because belief played a big roll in his short term cure and death.
      http://www.virsmai.com/blog/placebo-effect
    •     The DEA, in making its long-awaited announcement, said the decision to keep marijuana as a "Schedule 1" narcotic “is tethered to the science.” “Right now, the science doesn’t support [the reclassification],” Chuck Rosenberg, acting DEA administrator, said.        Still not completely convinced the earth is round...

• This is what the Whitehouse does don't you know that? Gotta love how the most "transparent" president ever gets a free pass from the press and the left when it comes to his war on whistleblowers and domestic spying. Let me know if you ever find that US propaganda Nick, its right in your face every day. Not here to defend Trump, just pointing this stuff out.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/mar/16/whistleblowers-double-standard-obama-david-petraeus-chelsea-manning
      https://www.longislandpress.com/2017/01/14/obamas-legacy-historic-war-on-whistleblowers/
      http://observer.com/2016/11/snowden-fires-back-at-obamas-war-on-whistleblowers/

• There is a lot of truth here, our food kills more people than guns, drugs, cars and probably a whole bunch of other stuff combined. Sure it is a slower death that drugs but looking at the cost of healthcare it is far more costly than the war on drugs and probably some wars overseas. It probably makes more sense to ban certain foods or the way we grow food than drugs but I imagine people here would go crazy if told they couldn't eat what they want. Some food for thought anyway.

Same goes for alcohol, one of the worst substances on earth but if you were now told you couldn't have a beer after work on a Friday people would riot and this is coming from a beer drinker. Like I have said before there is no rhyme or reason to our drug laws, a lot of based on what the propaganda at the time was pumping out.
  • Our Sponsors