Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

insulated canvas

6 posts in this topic

does anyone have any experience with the insulated canvas houses form canvas craft? I assume that it will add a ton of weight. I guess my question is durability, does its get wet and take a ton of time to dry out that sort of thing, or is it the same a regular canvas. fish'n lady, I see that you bought an 8 X 8 from canvas craft with the insulated canvas, was it worth the extra bucks and weight?

------------------
Thanks Scott

Phscotty,

Yes it was definitely worth every penny and pound of weight. It is probably double the weight of a normal canvas since you have two canvas layers with the insulation in between.

We were on URL last Feb-March 2002 and we happened to hit the cold front where the wind was whipping and the overnight lows were -25F (actual temp.). We stayed out overnight on the ice in our portable but we had 70+ F. with our Mr.Heater/Cooker running on low and a Coleman lantern burning. The seams are the only place where we had ANY ice build up, but that can be fixed with a bit of seam sealer.

A buddy of the hubby was out there with his single layer shack and he was freezing his butt off and had a ton of ice build up on the inside.

Once it started to turn a bit warmer towards spring we set up the house and lit the Mr. Heater up to dry it out because of the ice build up on the seams.

If you can afford it and don't mind lugging the extra weight it is well worth it. Good luck!

--------------

Fishn'Lady wink.gif

Fishn'Lady or anyone else with experience with the new insulated canvas:

I just bought the otter doublewide (Otter II large sled as base)insulated canvas fish house from Canvas Craft in Anoka. As I am just putting it together now, I would like to reap the benefit of other's knowledge and get everything in order before heading out. You had mentioned getting ice in the seam areas, and that applying seam sealer might solve that problem. Did you do so, and if so, how did it work out?

Does anyone have experience with this new fabric, esp. in a size such as I'll be dealing with, and any suggestions?

How about how much heat to use in it? I was anticipating I would need a Mr. Buddy Heater in each corner, but with the insulation I might be able to get by with less.

Thanks!

P.S. a reply directly to me at "reid@aapa.com" would be appreciated, as I might miss it in the forum posts.

Tried to reply to Fishn'Lady earlier, but it did not show on the forum. These questions are for her, or anyone who has had experience with the insulated canvas houses made by Canvas Craft in Anoka.

Just bought the large Otter doublewide insulated house, and am wondering if anyone has sealed the seams, as Fishn'Lady suggested to prevent ice formation inside the house. If so, what was used as sealant and how is it performing?

Another question I have is how much heating capacity might be required. I was thinking of having a Mr. Buddy heater in each corner, but wonder now if I'll be able to get by with less?

I thought I had purchased Hyfax runners with it, but they overlooked that item. Are they really necessary? I may be hauling it over ice behind a sled or ATV some of the time.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

e-mail replies to "reid@aapa.com" such that I don't lose them in the forum.

Thanks!

Get the HYfax runners,you wont be sorry!!

How much more does the canvas weight versus the standard canvas???

I am thinking going with the same thing you have. How much price difference too??

------------------
Gotta get ya some !!
Fish,Ducks,Deer and yotes.

Hi,

The staff at Canvas Craft had told us that the seam sealer should take care of the ice build up. The reason you get ice build up is the air flowing through the seams making contact with the warm air inside the house, etc etc. With the seams sealed you should not get the air flow and thus correcting the problem.

Now, I don't know if the hubby has yet to put the seam sealer on the house but last I heard he didn't. We haven't had our house out yet this winter just our Otter. (He's been to busy with other projects and we really haven't had enough good ice for our 8x8 suitcase style portable.)

As far as heat a buddy heater in each corner should be ok. We had the Mr. Heater/Cooker running on low which is approx. 8,000 btu's plus a Coleman Powerhouse lantern on high, I'm not sure of the btu output on that. Keep in mind that was with an overnight low of -25 F. Now the Buddy heater throws either 4,000 btu's on low and 9,000 btu's on high. So my guess would be the Buddy's would be ok. Mr. Heater claims that the Buddy with heat 250 sq. feet. I'm not sure how that would heat though on a windy day. You might have to experiment a little or maybe someone else has a better idea on heating.

As far as they Hyfax runners I am not sure. We also have the Otter Lodge but have never really needed them ours is easy to pull. I have heard others swear by them though.

Canvas Craft says the Large Otter with the Regular (non-insulated) Otterskin weight is 125 lbs. Now keep in mind with the insulated you have two pieces of canvas as well as the thinsulate material so I would have to say the weight of the canvas should be a little more than double. Their HSOforum doesn't say and I can't remember.

All I know is that I was impressed with the insulated version, and like I said before if you have the extra money and don't mind the extra weight, I would go for it.

Good luck!

--------------

Fishn'Lady