• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

boat jack wheel

T-water

I am having major trouble with my boat jack! The wheel will not turn as I am pushing it, at times I end up just dragging it sideways. Not sure what the issue is it's brand new and isn't undersized. I've ended up just hitting the wheel with a rubber mallet to try to straighten it. Any ideas?

Are you trying to push it while the jack is extended? With mine, after I crank it up off the truck, I have to crank it all the way down, and then it turns like it should. I think there is to much flex or give when it's extended to effectively operate the swivel.

Good luck

Folke

I'm assuming the wheel is not pointing the direction you want to go when you start moving it? Try moving the tongue in the direction the wheel is pointed then pull it the way you want it to go. I have to do this with mine every time.

Are you able to turn once you have the trailer moving forward?

Have you lubed the shaft? Crank it to the high stop, put a little motor oil on a rag and wipe the shaft down. I also lubed the bore of the plastic wheel itself with silicone lube. The axle is just a bolt so the wheel didn't turn freely. Made a world of difference.

I have a slight incline to the garage as well. I back my boat until the wheels are on my garage apron and then stop. I unhook the boat and crank up the jack. Once off the ball I give the boat a slight push backward, then lower the jack. Pushing around a boat with the jack extended puts a lot of stress on that extended jack. Also, I've found with my jack that the wheel doesn't turn well if the jack is all the way down. Therefore, I raise mine about an inch from the bottom and the wheel turns freely. It's been like that since the day it rolled out of the showroom.

I find the whole process of raising and lowering the trailer tongue painful to my bad shoulder. That, and there's no reason for the jack NOT to pivot while higher than bottomed out. That's what it's made to do. Or at least that's what it's supposed to do.

Rip that jack apart and grease the daylights out of it. If it still doesn't pivot while raised... Turn it into a "WEEE" part and buy a better one. Seriously.

Cheap chinatech equipment won't get any better throwing time, money and mods at it. Junk is junk. I've got one of these P.O.S's on my NEW Shoreland'r right now and it's going the way of the buffalo quite soon.

True. It's hard to argue with anything you said, although some of us would prefer a slight hassle than tossing another metal jack into a landfill. That's my rationale at least

Roger that, S.A. I hear ya. My issue is that what doesn't work, and work well, may cause me a "slight pain" which I don't prefer. More power to ya if you can whip that ol' handle around. Sorry if I came off a bit gruff. This wet weather has my shoulder reminding me who's boss. LOL!!

I wonder if these jacks can be recycled? wink