• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Okuma Reels

Question

I know it's "out of season" but, I was looking at these reels on the web.... anybody ever use them? They seem pretty nice, and reasonably priced.

------------------
-FNC

"Hell froze over last week... glad I brought the Vex"

6 answers to this question

I have four Okuma reels that I use for salmon fishing. I don't fish as often as I'd like (that will be changing this next season though), but really like them. I have 2 Titus lever drags and 2 Magda 30DX (?) line counters. All have levelwinds. I did have to take one Magda back because the levelwind quit working. The Titus look really similar to Shimano Charter Specials. I'm guessing the quality is a little lower than a Shimano, but I think the Okumas are a great value. I've also bought my mom a few of the large Okuma saltwater spinning reels and haven't heard any complaints. They use them mostly in Ensenada for yellowtail, sand bass, sculpin, etc.

By the way, the Vex is one of the best investments you'll ever make!

Last time I checked they still didn't make anything small. Is this still the case? I'd like something like the 25 series from Deadbolt (or even a little smaller)- do they have anything comporable?
I have given up on Deadbolts. I'm sick of hearing "we've fixed such and such a problem" only to find the problem hasn't changed at all.
Scoot

I have a pair of magda pro 20 dx line counters. The reels themselves are great but I have had trouble with one of the counters. Anyone got a fix? It just quit. I supppose I could send it back and test warranty. Other than that I think they are decent, good drags, overall a good reel for the money. Paul

------------------
Paul Rohweller
Pine to Prairie Guide Service
218-962-3387
http://fishingminnesota.com/pinetoprairie

I use the avenger, epix, and ultra-lite models during the summer. They seem to work fine for me. The only time I have ever had a problem with one is the first time I order my avenger. The bail spring was set to loose. I just sended it back in and they fixed it and sent it back. the drags are nice also.