• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

If you had $2k to spend...

Make sure he's taking about 7.62 x 51 NATO (Similar to .308) instead of 7.62 x 39 Russian used in AK47 and SKS.

My choice would be a JP Rifles customized Remington 700 in 7mm RUM.

Yes. Let's try to keep references to 7.62 clear as the 7.62X39 is no comparison to a .308. That is what I was getting at earlier. Probably should have expanded my statement more.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I won't use a .308 at that range for hunting anyway. The drop is huge.

Can it be done? Yes. It's not the right tool.

I wouldn't use most of the standard calibers mentioned here for over a 300 yd shot.

Shooting steel or paper targets is one thing but to retain the knockdown and kill power is another.

I won't use a .308 at that range for hunting anyway. The drop is huge.

After doing the right research, there's no way a .308's gonna work. There's around 50" of drop at 600 yards, way too much since he also gets alot of close shots there too, under 100 yards.

What do you fellas know about the .257 weatherby mag? Sounds like a heck of a round. From what I read on wikipidia, it's based off a necked-down .375 h&h mag. 200-300 more fps than my 25-06 w/ 115 gr. noslers, and similar energy to a 30-06. This thing really has my curiousity pinged.

Also, he was telling me about the lazzaroni bullets, sounds like a heck of a round! Ever know someone that's shot one?

.308 has milatary back ground and has been know to reach out and get the job done at distances farther than 600 yards

257 Weatherby Mag is a awsome round and you dont have to spend a fortune on this gun either the Weatherby Vanguard in that cailiber has great reveiws. Its one of the best out of the box guns around for under 600.00 bucks at least the last time I checked that gun was priced under 600.

If your going to plan on shooting those distances I would build a bullet for that also

Good luck to your friend in what ever he chooses

With all the talk of "exotic" calibers and wildcats... $2K isn't going to get you very far. Then... what about glass? For a ethical 600 yard shot, you will need to see your aim point. For me, that says 10x minimum. My eyes are a bit weak so that may be different for you young'uns.

Has anyone mentioned the time honored .300 Win Mag? A new Rem 700 P (police) may run about $800 to $900 or so. Drop at least that into glass and you'll still have a few hundo left over for ammo or handloading components.

With my last 700P, in .300WM, using 180 grain or heavier bullets... I'd have no issues taking that 600 yard shot from a sturdy rest. Using 207gr. Amax's even farther.

I'm curious... For those with ballistics software, run the numbers for a 26", 1:10 twist barrel, using a basic 200 grain partition, pushed at a slow 3000fps at the muzzle. What's your down range energy at 600 yards?

Are we still above 1000 lb/ft? I'm going to guess closer to 2000 lb/ft...

With all the talk of "exotic" calibers and wildcats... $2K isn't going to get you very far. Then... what about glass? For a ethical 600 yard shot, you will need to see your aim point. For me, that says 10x minimum. My eyes are a bit weak so that may be different for you young'uns.

Has anyone mentioned the time honored .300 Win Mag? A new Rem 700 P (police) may run about $800 to $900 or so. Drop at least that into glass and you'll still have a few hundo left over for ammo or handloading components.

With my last 700P, in .300WM, using 180 grain or heavier bullets... I'd have no issues taking that 600 yard shot from a sturdy rest. Using 207gr. Amax's even farther.

I'm curious... For those with ballistics software, run the numbers for a 26", 1:10 twist barrel, using a basic 200 grain partition, pushed at a slow 3000fps at the muzzle. What's your down range energy at 600 yards?

Are we still above 1000 lb/ft? I'm going to guess closer to 2000 lb/ft...

I was thinking .300WM as well, but went with the 7mm Remington Ultra Mag.

ammo cost has to be taken into consideration here: you are going to need considerable trigger time to pull off a 600 yard shot. Look at the training our military puts into their sniper programs. Wildcat's even the weatherby magnums, will get very expensive during the practice sessions, determining a go to round with handloads will take time as well. I haven't checked ammo prices this fall but I am sure they are still up there.

Keep spending your buddies cash, it's fun ain't it?

So I got internet at my house (just moved this weekend) and this is the info for those lazaroni bullets. Absolutely amazing and I really want one now...

Rifles

http://www.lazzeroni.com/ct_rifles.htm

Long Magnums

http://www.lazzeroni.com/ct_lacart.htm

So they might be a little more than the $2k he was looking to spend, but wow, these things are incredible. A little spendy (understatement!) but incredible.

Tell him to spend his money building a few new stands and try to pattern the deer a little better.

That is too simple......you need the lastest gear to kill a Buck with a MASSIVE RACK!

You are not a true hunter until you have a wall full of MASSIVE RACKS!!!!!!

wink

No need to spend big money on a custome rifle. What comes off the shelf these dasys is better than what you could get at a custom shop 15 years ago. I'd look at a .300 WSM or a 300 Win Mag in a Remington or Winchester Bolt action. I'd spend some money having the trigger worked on, and then I'd spend the rest on quality optics and mounts. There is nicer stuff out there, but I buy Leupold scopes and rings and my setups are more accurate than I am by a good stretch. If your friend doesn't reload I'd steer him towards the 300 Win Mag as there is more ammo available.

I just purchased a Tika T3 in 300 wsm for long range shooting and I cant say how happy that I am with it. I would say that I have ruffly a thousand rounds through it and am just getting comfortable shooting over 500yards with it. I reload a lot of my shells and use a good buddy over at federal to get discounts on loads also.

As for the 7.62x51mm Nato In ramadi during the Iraq war Sept 27th 2005, an Army Staff SGT shot and killed an enemy insurgant at 1,250m or 1,367 yards with an M24 or also known as a Remington Model 700 in 308

Or the longest shot I can find was with a 338 Lapua Magnum by a UK soldier using a L115A3 long range rifle. Shot and kill was 2,475m or 2707 yards.

Just for kicks the longest .50 bmg recorded kill is 2,430 m (2,657 yd)

Tought I would give you some food for thought.

If you go conventional calibers (300 wsm) take a good hard look at the savage with the accutrigger. Will not be the prettiest gun on the range, but it will not need the trigger work that winchester and remington's always seem to need, at least from what I have read.

What is your buddy leaning towards right now anyway?

so far, he's leaning towards the .257. he said he's strongly considering just throwing caution to the wind and buying the lazzaroni (goodness knows he has the $ for it!) but i think he's gonna end up with some kind of custom .257

A well made custom .257 is a thing of beauty and perfectly adequate for deer and antelope in the hands of a careful shooter. A well built 6mm or 6.5mm has been in the "must have" stable of many renowned hunters for a hundred years. I have seen some absolutely GORGEOUS little rifles in .257 and 6mm.

PS Similar cartridges/loads.