• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best walleye jig heads?

prov1900

I imagine this has been touched on before, but what is everyone's favorite jighead brand? Mine has to be the 'old' BPS XPS jig heads. Great hooks and great paint. Now I am not so sure they have the same quality. Luckily I bought them out when they were phasing them out. Lindy is OK IMO, but again, not sure about the hook quality.

Love to hear what everyone thinks. If there is something out there I am missing, let me know. I am a huge fan of Gopher Tackle for plastics, but am looking for a better quality live bait jig.

Northlands are all I use. Not because they're the best or I like them better than anything else, they're just easy to find and reasonable. I don't think brand makes a whole lotta difference, as long as you have the right color on.

I use a lot of Northland Jigs because they are good quality and easy to find up here. I use a lot of the short shanked Fireballs and the shiner jigs for bigger minnows. The thumpers and whistlers also worked good.

I love the whistlers, its the main jig I use on the WI river.

These arent the best, but are good enough. Cabelas Fisherman series. Priced right and good quality. Good variety. Hooks are good enough. I buy the 100 packs so they cost nothing per jig. My jig box is full of several sizes of several colors. Good Luck

I use a variety of jigs. One of the most versitile is the Lindy Exchange Jig. The heads can be changed instantly so weight and color should never be an issue. They have 2 sizes of hooks to match the size of bait you are using.

I also like the Oddball jigs and Knuckleball jigs. You have to sharpen the hooks on the Oddball before using them though. They give a nice vibration to the minnow when snapjigged.

I also make some jigs I am very partial to.I started using a sickle hook in them from Matzuo.(sp)They are the walleye style from the Do-It molds.

Deanstacklebox.com has good river jig hooks and my box has pounds of them in it. They are best when used with some sort of plastic. The bucktail jigs Dean sells are second to none. I have lots of them too.

My point is there are many jigs for many applications. Make sure you have the correct jig for your for your use.

i have kinda technique specificed my jig useage over the years.

cant beat deans/hutchs hair jigs, bfn's h20 jigs match perfectly with their plastics, fireballs are great for live bait, i love using the standup oddballs/knuckleballs/zone-r's for 4-5 inch gulp/trigger/slurpies and i have just started using the vmc moon eyes, which look to be a great all around jig.

of course, hutch and dean's glitter jigs are great with plastics, too, and ...

can you tell jigs are my favorite way to fish walleyes? grin

I only really fish for eyes up shallow at night and can't say enough about the Lindy X change system. This means a lot coming from me because i belong to the cheap tackle pro staff and really do not put as much faith in the equipment as i do in being able to find active fish. Regardless being able to pair a 1/16th and a large hook really helps in the hook set when you are working larger baits. Wish they had a 1/32nd as well....

Pushbutton how do you choose you lakes and spots for walleyes after dark?

Find Weeds, Rocks, Reefs, and of course where the BAITFISH are would be a great spot to start. Wind blown areas is another. Typical walleye structure. I fished all friday night, lots of fish in the weeds. I pulled crawler harnesses over them with some success. Also got a 25" on jig/worm. Casting cranks or plastics works well as also.

I tie my own jigs for both crappie and walleye. My preference is jigheads purchased from Grandpa Bob's using strictly sickle hooks. The hooks can be purchased in different sizes. To me, it appears they are sharper and have a better hook set

I fish alot of diff hand poured jigs. I like "asprin or wedges" for bucktails. I mostly use various plastics. For them I like a standup but mostly fish the VMC moon eye jig - awesome hook, plastic holder, and big fish and fisherman catching googly eye... cool

I use a variety of jigs. One of the most versitile is the Lindy Exchange Jig. The heads can be changed instantly so weight and color should never be an issue. They have 2 sizes of hooks to match the size of bait you are using....

Haven't those been discontinued and closed out?