• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How long will a different size propane tanks last on a heater running on low?

Swill

Question

I have a mr heater / cooker and i usually run it on low which is 8000 btu's. I am sick of lugging around my 20lb tank and I was wondering if anyone has a 5 or 11lb tank and roughly how long it lasts.
my 20lb tank seems to last almost a whole season and I go pretty much every weekend.
Just wondering if anyone has a general idea..

Trying to lighten the load...Swill

15 answers to this question

Swill

I also have a Mr Heater/Cooker. I was running mine off the 1# cyls, and running out of gas at about two hours.

My 20# cyl works, but as you said, there is the weight factor, plus it had the old valve, so...

I bit the bullet and got myself a new valve style 11# cyl. at Menards last week when they had their 20.03% off sale last weekend.
Paid $23.99 for the cyl.

It is the high profile design, vs the lower "fat" body design I saw at Fleet for the 11# tanks they have.

I also set mine up w/ a "T" that I got at Gander Mtn (clearance), so that I can run my lantern at the same time as the heater. The high profile tank is nice in my case, cause I have a "lantern crane" that I used to use years ago when we fished at night in Alabama.

The crane clamps to the boat side - or as I am using it now - the collar on the tank, and then I hang the lantern from the arm of the crane. Gets the lantern and associated heat up off the ice - helping to reduce the wet sloppy mess I was getting w/ my flip style house (I posted on this issue about a week ago).

UG

I have noticed that Menadrs has a nice stock of 20lb tanks but seem to be thin on the other sizes. I went to FF for my 100lb in my garage and they had tons of other sizes. I believe they also have a 5lb tank. I may go that way. Just have to refill it more often.

Good idea UG! I was just looking up propane accessories made by Century and they have a few "t" and posts that would allow me to run my Coleman and mr heater at the same time. Looks like I have to do some shopping smile.gif
Swill

My 20 pounder lays on its side... inside my rubbermaid tub. I have it notched out so the hose passes under the lid, so I'll I do is grab my buddy heater out of the tub, and press the go button. (I check to make sure everything is tight before I go out, don't want any gas leaks in the house...)

The opd tank still seems to work fine even laying on its side.

When its time to fly, turn the buddy heater off, put back into the tub, and I'm off.

Widetrack

Please think twice about using your cylinder with it on its side. All of the cylinders I've seen have warnings on them about using them ONLY when they are upright. Would hate to hear about you getting hurt due to an explosion or fire due to liquid propane reaching your heater, etc.

UG

Unc Grump is right, a tank laid on its side disables the pressure relief system. If it warms up and the pressure in the tank builds, it has no way to relieve it but to blow. When we were young and dumb, we intentionally detonated a propane tank. Very impressive and REALLY STUPID. I set it off with a rifle at a distance. I would not want to be in the same fishhouse with it. As for a source of 11# tanks, Fleet Farm had some the last time I was there.

I use the same heater/cooker on a 5# tank with a hose. I never really measured the time it lasts, but I usually run it on low in my shack and it does last more than 8 hours. I think 12 would be stretching it though. I can say that I think it is the way to go if you are a weekend fisherman. I only end up filling it 2 or 3 times a season with weather like we have had this year. BUY ONE!

I use a 5 lb tank on a mr heater in the portable. Very light and storable. I fill it or top it off after two outings. Usually only need to run it on low. It has worked well for years. It's a good idea to remember how many hours you have per fill as not to run out. The above posts are very accurate. Thanks guys.

Just offhand, I believe propane has around 21,000 btu's per pound, multiply tank size by this number and divide by usage rate to determine number of useable hours, this assumes 100% combustion efficiency.

Approximate burn time at a rate of 8000 btu's per hour:
5# = 13 hours
11# = 28 hours
20# = 52 hours

Anyone have the exact value of btu's per pound of propane?

Swill,

My 20 pounder would last me all winter too. So I figured that I could refill a 10 pounder once during the winter to save on weight. In addition, the "fat belly" size has a lower center of gravity so it's not as tippy as a 20lb. 10lbs. doesn't seem like much but when you cut this amount in a few things that you bring out, it make a big difference.

Good Luck!

Where can a guy buy 11lb tanks? I noticed Cabelas carries them in the new spring fishing catalog but I would like one sooner. How about Northern Depo? Or would menards have one?
I can't wait to lighten the load!! smile.gif