• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Aerated Bait Cooler

Fourplay

Question

? for you guys. I received a aerated Frabill bait cooler for Christmas. Keeps the minnows alive great, but I didn't really have a problem keeping them alive before as long I changed the water regularly, which I still do anyway. Do you guys think these things make that big of a difference? Maybe it will be alot more helpful in the summer.

6 answers to this question

I love them for late summer when the surface of the lake is really warm, cuz the minnows die in the minnow bucket otherwise, just keep putting ice in the cooler and you can keep minnows alive almost forever

I bought my dad the same Frabil cooler for Christmas. I liked it because it's a little more secure to throw in the sled behind the wheeler. Minnows don't freeze up as easy Plus, it's a toy for him to play with.

[This message has been edited by HANGBELLY (edited 01-08-2003).]

I bought one for myself aslo, I really like it for throwing around it does not splash water nor tip over. Week or two ago I through it in the fridge (without the aerter attached) two days later they were all dead.
The seal around the top is a good seal and I believe I starved them from air/oxgen. So now I always put them back in the Ol'Styrofoam bucket when I put them back in the fridge.

S.D.

It will make a much bigger difference in summer, when the water's warm, because minnow metabolism is faster, requiring more oxygen, the warmer the water gets. I've got about 8 dozen fatheads that are on their third week in a 5-gallone bucket. I just sprinkled in some of those blue bait saver crystals and keep the bucket in a cold room in my basement where the floor's 40 degrees. I haven't changed the water yet, and those minnows are as frisky today as they were when I bought them.

I built my own with a recirculating pump. I just drop pump in minnow bucket, connect battery and let it run on a timer.

I forgot about minnows last week, and yesterday I checked garage, they are still all there including 4 shiners, after 1 week in bucket.

I think it is a BIG improvement, usually shiners die after 1 day.

I have crappie minnows for 4 weeks and some shiners from 2 weeks. I just keep them in the garage in a 5 gal bucket, change water regularly with soft water. So far I have lost only a few crappie minows and about 5 shiners.