• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

#6 hooks on live bait rigs

I just made numerous live bait rigs, and used #6 hooks. In retrospect, my guts tell me this hook size is too small.

Hope I am wrong.

Can anyone verify that #6 is a good sized hook for walleyes?

------------------
<><<><
Calvinist
><>><>

I usually use #2 for minnows and #4 for crawlers and leaches. On a small leach sometimes a #6 isn't a bad choice. I would make some with all different hook sizes.

Good Luck!

I usually use a #6 hook on my night crawler/leech live bait rigs. I also have several tied with #8 hooks. I usually use #4 or #2 hooks for my minnow rigs. Alot depends on the size of minnow I'll be using.

I wouldn't think that your undersize with the #6 hooks unless you're using circle hooks. You'll need to go up a few sizes if using the circle hooks.

It's funny but I use larger hooks now than I did years ago. I used to use #8 or #10 light wire Aberdeen hooks on my livebait rigs. But the slightly larger hooks give me a wide hook gap and haven't seemed to decrease the number of bites I get.

Borch

Just returned from Canada and caught several hundred walleyes,including a couple 30" on crawlers and #6 hook. Used a #4 a couple times until they broke off and noticed no difference. I would however use a #4 or #2 for minnows.

------------------
I fish, therefore I am.

I have fished my whole life using a #6 hook with leeches and crawlers and don't have many problems hooking eyes. I think 6 is the best size for this presentation. And if you read todays Star Tribune article on the back page of the sports, Gary Roach recommends using a #6 or even a #8.

I normally use a #4 hook as a standard on all of spinner rigs. I used to just make the crawler rigs with #2 hooks then I decided that the #4's were just as good. I have always used #4's on leech rigs w/out a problem.
IMO I wouldnt go any smaller than a #4, why risk it. You could loose a huge fish by not getting a deep enough hook set. With a #2 all that is solved and also is solved with a #4. Thats just my point of view.

------------------
And keep those hooks sharp!

I use nothing but #6 hooks. I do not seem to lose any more fish (or catch more) than any one else, but I guess I have not really payed attention to it.

Next week while in Canada I will have to pay attention and see if there is a differance.

I like using the smaller hooks because I think the bait looks more natural on a smaller hook.

Number #6 work great for crawler and leeeches. Hook strength is not an issue with walleyes. We use 6's all the time for steelhead which definetly fight harder and have more bones in the mouth and have very few hooking problems. For minnows and spinner rigs I like 4's or an aberdeen hook.

Mwal

I think the hook size is a little small. I look more and more to ease of removing the hook from the fish for a clean release. Bigger the hook the less likely to be gullet hooked. As long as you are looking to put fillets in the freezer they'll be fine, but you might have some hooksets in the throat or belly of the fish.

6 is a great choice and wouldnt use anything bigger except for minnows(2 or 4 depending on size of minnow. I even use 8 for straight live bait rigs but for all the spinners and harnesses I buy I use mostly 6. Hooksets should not be a problem with size.

I use size 6 hooks on my leech and crawler rigs. I feel the leeches can swim more freely and the crawlers have a more subtle fall with the size 6.
The small size has never seemed to be an issue when it comes to hooking fish.
mw

I just got back from Vermillion, and Dave, the resort owner hooked me up with some bllod red, #6 "tru-turn" hooks. I was very pleased with these because of the smaller diameter of the hook kept the bait livelier, and I had good hooking percentage. My mom, on the other hand, will use nothing but a #12 Kahle hook, and she does well...

Anyone use these style hooks?

------------------
<><<><
Calvinist
><>><>

[This message has been edited by CALVINIST (edited 06-20-2004).]