• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

12 volt Rope Lights ?????

chucker

Question

Do they make rope light in a 12volt version?

I think I remember Backwater Eddy experimenting around with rope light for his fish house.

Has anyone tried this or know where to find 12v rope light, I've only found the 110v rope light at the large retailers.

7 answers to this question

try looking in a automotive store for them. They come with the male end to the cig lighter. They are about $25. you can check the internet for 12 volt xmas lights also, they aren't as expensive.

Be carefull what you buy, most will not last in the cold. Quality rope lighting with quality materials will run much more. Some will eat up amps too. Some 12V over the counter auto/yard rope I tried didn't even last a month! Total S#%T, complete waist of money, and time. In the trash can it went!

Be carefull what you buy, most will not last in the cold. Quality rope lighting with quality materials will run much more. Some will eat up amps too. Some 12V over the counter auto/yard rope I tried didn't even last a month! Total S#%T, complete waist of money, and time. In the trash can it went!

I bought the regular 110v rope lights and a power inverter. The inverter cost about 30 and I can run those dang lights for a week straight on my deep cycle battery. They're cheaper than the 12v version, and I have an extra plugin so the little ones can watch a movie if they get bored.

Chemist just be sure to look at the speck sheet and know what they are rated for. Also see if the whole string will be shot if one light burns out, some do not offer line protection.

The 115 V and the 12V have widely different characteristics. It is best to use the right rope for the right application. Some use low grade diodes and others are far better LED. Top grade LED with line breaks and with hi-stress silicone is more expensive.

As with anything you get what you pay for or somebody would be loosing money producing them.

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson..><sUMo>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

http://ed-carlson.fishingbuddy.com