• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Good knife sharpeners ?

Question

Can anyone suggest a decent knife sharpener out there ?
One that is realatively easy to use and puts a decent edge on a filet knife. Also one that would work on hunting/kitchen knives too.
I've tried some of the cheapo ones before and they just don't cut it for me ... so to speak ! LOL

15 answers to this question

Geeman.....Whasssuuuupppp! I like my Edgemaker Pro. A set of three plastic handled cross pin type sharpeners that really work and it's easy. Even guys like us can get an edge....T

Hey Bub,

I like the Lansky for putting a good edge on a knife. It can be a bit slow, but the bevel is held constant on every sharpening stroke.

For maintaining the edge, I use the Edgmaster that T-Bone mentioned.

I'll strongly second the Lansky set (or Gatco's). I bought mine 2 yrs. ago and have used it on hunting knives, fillet knives, auger blades, and even broadheads. In my opinion, a stone will put a better edge on most blades than other "quick & easy" sharpeners. Before getting the Lansky set, I always used a medium stone followed by an Arkansas. But it was nearly impossible to keep the blade angle consistent on every stroke. The setup with the Lansky (Gatco) kit solves that problem and puts one of the sharpest edges on a blade you can get. Just don't cut yourself; I've done it several times!

------------------
Best FISHES,
Matt

Thanks guys ! I took and bought a Lansky kit at Gander Mountain. Had some X-Mas loot to spend so went that route !
I agree a stone puts a good edge on a blade but maintaing the right angle while sharpening with one is not one of my strong points. LOL

Dark Cloud , NOW NOW ! Be nice ! LMAO

Gissert.........I guess I'll just prink all of my fillet knives up to your place next time so I can watch you demonstrate the Lansky. It might take about five knives before I get the hang of it. ;> ).........T

2dog , I did'nt get the diamond stone set. Did'nt see it on the shelf at the store or I probably would have.
I got the delux kit - 5 stones.

I gave the kit the acid test last night. I found an old crusty cheapo fillet knife I had laying around the kitchen for years to try and sharpen. This thing has'nt filleted a fish in years and the edge was LONG gone.
The Lansky put a good edge back on this thing in about 10 minutes. Like I said , I think the kids musta cut bricks with this knife it was that bad ! LOL
Anyways , Though the knife does'nt have the factory razor edge of a decent fillet knife I'm sure with a little more work I could acheive one. A little more practice might make all the difference too.
Is it the best sharperner going ? Can't say but I'm happy with the purchase.
Like Matt said , GOTTA watch your fingers ! LOL

Geeman, thanks. I think I'm going to have to get me one. I've tried stones before and I can't keep the same angle. I end up having the knife worse than before I started.

For kitchen/hunting knives, I use the sharpeners designed for arrow blades, the ones that take off small beads of metal with each pass. I only use them when the knife is very dull. Those sharpeners leave a slight wire edge, which you can feel be dragging your thumb across the blade. I take that off with the typical ceramic sharpeners made by Normark and others, the small ones with the red plastic frame and the two crossed small round ceramic pieces.

I never use the broadhead sharpener on fillet knives, because they are too fine and the sharpener will damage the blade. The key to fillet knives is never letting them get too dull in the first place.

After ever filleting session, I run mine through the ceramic Normark sharpener until it's razor sharp. A hint: Those sharpeners work best when they're wet. It clogs the ceramic less than when dry and gets a better bite on the blade. I've had the same inexpensive Rapala fillet knife for many years, and it just keeps cutting and cutting and cutting and . . . grin.gif