• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tilt Trim problem

Question

My trim on my 97 Force 75 will go up but not down.What causes this and how do I fix it?I suspect low hydraulic fluid but I see no where it could have leaked out.

15 answers to this question

fishhead,

Thats the same Moter we have on our boat. When you find out what the problem is post back and let us know incase it happens to us some time.

I'm sure this isn't your problem but last year when I was putting our boat in the water I forgot to take off that thing that blocks the moter up off. I felt like an one-who-thinks-I-am-silly, but it was one of those things that my husband always did and he was'nt there at the time.

Mary

Mary
I still forget to put the plug in all the time.Can't think of every thing all the time!

Wouldn't you know it the shop I called is stacked up for two weeks.Didn't even give me an Idea of what could be wrong or if I could fix it myself.I was going to go to the Miss today because the MN river is over the banks.Could take my jon but I'm afraid that the current may be too strong for it

Fish
There is a way you can get the motor down, there should be a screw on the trim pump it's a by p*** valve that when turned will lower the motor. Does your trim pump run when you try to put it down?

jkrash
Yes i think that it does.It makes noise anyway and if you push down on it it will go down.It happened last spring also but after working it up and down it freed up.This year its not freeing up.I thought that the piston was just sticky last year,I'm not so sure any more.

Jkrash, since you mentioned tranny fluid I think maybe there is a problem.
I have Mercury and I use 10x40 motor oil, that's what they specify.
I don't know Force, but maybe it's the oil, or it could be the cylinders or both.

wink.gif
10-40 motor oil, that's news to me you must have a newer merc, I've always used tranny fluid on the trim pumps I've messed with. learn something new everyday. sorry about the locator.

Jkrash, no expert here I just read what my manual says (actually 10w40 not 10x40, sorry). Also repair manuals suggest same, and my motors are a 1978 135hp and 1980 140hp. But it's always what works best, if tranny fluid did the job for you for many years, I can guarantee I won't argue with it wink.gif
Have you had a chance to put boat in water yet ? Can't wait here.... grin.gif

It seems that with a long winter like the one we had, the only ones that gets good out of it is sport and tackle shops, becouse we get so pumped up waiting, we go and spend a fortune in things we don't actually need. I just bought myself some new rods, fancy line, gadgets, a VHF radio (yeah on Faribault lakes you need one... wink.gif ) and more. Just to spend more dough..... Then the day after you question yoursef why did I do that......

Did you solve the problem yet, if not have you tried jumping out your solenoids to see if the problem is electrical or not. It would seem to me if the unit goes up but not down that is were the problem is. I had simular problems with a 75 merc and traced my problem to a broken wire I live in Shakopee and could give you a hand if you need it.
Mike

Turned out to be a broken seal,busted cylinder cap.I'm going to take it to R&R on monday,to get it rebuilt.Its going to be a long drive,Ilive in Chaska.Any other time it would be a five minute drive.Thanks for the offer of help.